[split] New Hermann tortoise owner

sarniacherie

BelletheHermann said:
Hi all

I am a new tortoise owner and we have a very friendly beautiful little Hermann tortoise. My daughter has decided to call her Belle. Belle is 9 months old and is only little.

We have had her 3 days now, she is eating well and we've been bathing her every day. She hasn't pooped yet, is this normal?

Also what is the best practice with regards to the UVC light, we have been told to leave it on for 12hrs a day warming her table up to 30-33c.

We are based in London England. Any comments from experience would be great.

Many thanks
Jamie

hi,I have a new Hermann called Hermione but she is four and I inherited her,without a clue,Im finding my feet and finding it quite difficult to gage what is right.I gave her a bath today and she was flapping her little legs about which I presumed that she wanted out.She didnt seem to want to wander,so I put her back in her house and she has been asleep ever since.Ive done a lot of reading about her and it seems her previous owner was feeding her all the wrong stuff,shes not supposed to have much fruit but part of her diet has been tomatos,I so need help.I have only been putting her heater on just when it gets cold but she seems ok and the fact that the first few night I had her,she slept in a box in my microwave,obviously with the door open,so any info from anyone will be appreciated

Try soaking her in some warm water. Tortoises seem to love to poop in their water! If she doesn't poop right away then leave her in warm water for about 15-20 minutes and see what happens. If she's eating well and isn't lethargic and is active then there she probably isn't impacted[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Good luck with your new tortoise[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]ImageUploadedByTortForum1395099332.682148.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1395099344.762986.jpg

Haha just wanted to share my new tortoises[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I've only had the babies for almost 2 and a half months and the Russian for 4 days[TURTLE][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Last edited by a moderator:

C3Colla

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Marin County California
hi,I have a new Hermann called Hermione but she is four and I inherited her,without a clue,Im finding my feet and finding it quite difficult to gage what is right.I gave her a bath today and she was flapping her little legs about which I presumed that she wanted out.She didnt seem to want to wander,so I put her back in her house and she has been asleep ever since.Ive done a lot of reading about her and it seems her previous owner was feeding her all the wrong stuff,shes not supposed to have much fruit but part of her diet has been tomatos,I so need help.I have only been putting her heater on just when it gets cold but she seems ok and the fact that the first few night I had her,she slept in a box in my microwave,obviously with the door open,so any info from anyone will be appreciated
I am also a new mom to a western Hermann. She only poops in her morning bath, except for once. I give her a warm bath every morning while I prepare her food.

Attachments

• DA86C168-8B62-4B3B-A18B-4DD1EEC8D5E0.jpeg
    DA86C168-8B62-4B3B-A18B-4DD1EEC8D5E0.jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 7

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
This post is from 2014. Welcome to the forum.