HELP! First time owner, New Hermann, UK

Corinne

Hi guys,

I just got Poppet, a 18month old Hermann, bred in the UK. She is running around, very curious, is getting used to me very quickly and is as cute as a button. She is eating normally, I have used the website tortoise table to guide me on which leafy greens/weeds/house plants etc I can give her.

She is in a large tortoise table, I have attached a picture, with a large dual bulb, currently she only has a few other accessories and a water bowl. I have a few concerns that I am struggling to find simple straight forward online advice about, so if anyone could just come back to me with straight forward simple suggestions/ideas/answers, that would be fantastic! And much appreciated.

1. in one picture attached you should be able to see the substrate I was recommended, I think it might be too dry and sandy? She seems to be getting it in her eyes after having a rummage where it appears gritty, her eyes have remained clear and lovely, but she does seem agitated and tries to get the sand mix out of her face by rubbing her face. I have read about a substrate called aspen, would that be better?

2. I don't have a thermometer, and the chap that I got all the accessories from, in an aquatics centre with a large reptile section, said not to worry and not to get one.... I now realise that is ridiculous and I gotta get one! What is the best kind to get, what kind of variations in the tortoise table am I looking for?

3. I am in the UK, my house is a normal temperature and we have central heating for when it gets colder, to simulate night and day, I should be turning my dual light off in the evening and then back on in the morning? OR should I be leaving it on all day and leaving it to Poppet to go in her hidey section if she gets to warm? I have read that I should be able to turn off the dual lamp during the night.

4. Calcium supplement, 2-3 times a week on food?

5. How much should I be leaving for her food wise, I don't want to over feed, but I know that they would graze in the wild, so does it really matter if the food is the correct?

OH and the last thing is humidity, is this something I need to worry about? I can get moss and place it in her hidey area if need be, but I am not sure how to go about this, how to measure, and there is so many different things online, I just don't want to get it wrong and her be ill or stressed in any way as much as I can avoid!

Sorry for the paniced tone :') I feel like a nervous new mother, bloody hell! But any help and assistance would be most appreciated, as I just want to have as much knowledge as possible and get it as right as possible.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• poppet.png
    poppet.png
    450.2 KB · Views: 52
  • poppet table.jpg
    poppet table.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 54
  • poppet substrate.jpg
    poppet substrate.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 51
Location (City and/or State)
high desert California
walmart has some pretty good digital thermometers for around $10 its in house wares and its digital which means accurate. and it is very much needed moving the light even an inch drastically affects the temps which could cause your baby to get sick

Corinne

Hey thanks for the care sheet, unfortunately it won't open in my browser! The cyclamen leaves, I literally realised this last night (the pictures are from yesterday afternoon), I picked the leaves mistaking it for a different plant! Luckily Poppet turned her nose up to them (clever girl) and they were immediately removed from her table :)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Go to Forums > Mediterranean Tortoises > Hermann's > Updated Care Sheet
It is pinned near the top.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I think the care sheet will answer your questions.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
There's a great UK based website called The Tortoise Table that has a huge list of plants. They even have photos to assist with identification, and they have recommendations and warnings about specific plants. It's one of my favorite sites!:)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum and hope you get the help you need as a beginner.