First Time Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
For the first time here in the USA, a Testudo hermanni hermanni from the island of Majorca, Spain has successfully hatched out of its egg. She was born today at about 1pm and I am extremely excited. Both Italian and French hermanni have been produced here regularly but this is just amazing. The adult group was imported back in December and after only having them here since then, they have reproduced. I am unsure of who her mother and father are because I did not see the female nest, but here are some shots of the baby and some of the adults.

firstmajorcan.jpg

maj1.jpg

maj2.jpg

maj3.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Wow, you must be so proud! What a beautiful baby. :D

How do parent tortoises treat baby tortoises if they come into contact, I wonder? Do they even notice them? Are they hostile?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Congrats Chris, very impressive and well done. You really have a way with them. How exciting!!

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Beautiful hatchling and adults Chris. Congrats!
I have some family in Majorca, Spain.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Congratulations!! And the adults are STUNNING!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your new little one Chris. That is really something to be proud of. Can't wait to see more pictures of her.;)

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thank you everyone, It's a big accomplishment for myself.

As for babies interacting with adults, there is generally no interest. However, some hatchlings will follow the adults around, I do not know why, but I've read about it and even witnessed it myself here.

As for subspecies, it goes like this: Eastern Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni boettgeri)-most commonly seen and offered for sale of the Hermann's tortoises, Dalmatian tortoise (Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis)-again fairly common and offered for sale, smaller than the eastern but usually bigger than the western. Western Hermann's tortoise (Testudo herrmanni hermanni)-typically smallest, and more colorful with very defining features. Also the rarest of Hermann's tortoises and not commonly seen in collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.