First Sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexor65

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey all, I'm from Orange County, California originally but am in Tempe, Arizona for school currently. I got my first sulcata about a week ago. He is a little over 2 months old and is adorable! Named him Ironhide, well my roommate came up with that name but it seems to have stuck! Posted a pick of him.

Attachments

• 100_1537.JPG
    100_1537.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi rexor65:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Your little guy is pretty cute.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

rexor65

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks everyone! My name is Matt by the way and the bedding was actually a question I had so that helps me a lot! What do you suggest instead of the rabbit pellets? my enclosure is a 2.5 foot by 4 foot wooden structure with 8" high walls.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt:

I prefer to use either the fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch. The cypress mulch is a bit hard to find on the West Coast. But easterners can buy it cheaply at the home improvement stores. I don't know how available it is in Arizona. Lots of folks use coconut coir (you buy it in a compressed brick that you soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water to re-hydrate), but I really don't like it. It a personal preference. You want something that you can moisten. So you'll need to line your wooden habitat with a shower curtain or sheet plastic to protect the wood.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
hi and welcome to the forum!
I'm in S. Phoenix with RV and have cactus pads, if you need one now and again...

teri

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
May I make a couple suggestions? Change your substrate. Keeping baby tortoises on pellets is old school. Now-a-days, we understand that we need to keep baby tortoises on a substrate that we can moisten. A more humid environment keeps the baby from pyramiding.

And second, read this thread. It will help you raise a beautiful baby:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-...z1W9S62sYu
^ ^ ^
2nd this!
Your little ones a beuaty!

Status
Not open for further replies.