First Project: Turtletarium

Lyles

This was the first project I've ever done, and I still use it today.

I used yellow pine 2x4s, plexiglass and wood chip board. Covered the whole thing, inside and out, with four coats of natural non-toxic waterproof varnish. Didn't have much in terms of tools, just a meter stick and a hand saw, but was able to get the measurements close enough to where it didn't fall apart. lol

Lyles

Thanks! The only downside is that it needs vents added to the sides. I didn't make any at first thinking that it would help maintain humidity, but that only caused mold to grow fast as there is too little circulation. I'll probably get a little punch saw and put a circle vent on each side, or I can just etch knots along the side up top, but that would let a lot of heat escape.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Very cool!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Very nice. Thanks for posting this. I am trying to talk my husband into building a pretty display enclosure for our family room. Then I can get a Russian to put in it. My tortoise room is full up with Leopards. Lol. Something like this would work great. Very impressive with few tools especially.

Lyles

First set of plants were demolished by the little bulldozers, I tried to grow some strawberries in there but they destroyed those too. lol. Now, I just recently planted a cherry tomato plant and a citronella.

Lyles

I took the crystal out months ago as I caught them both trying to scratch themselves with it (which it was leaving scratches on their shells).

TBqCoj4.jpg

Dv0Vd9R.jpg

9XpjRUG.jpg

Here is my ferret, she was diagnosed with adrenal at 1.5 yo but she receives treatment and is hanging in there.

9iTTlS4.jpg

UEU3Kie.jpg