FIREworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Every year (well for the last three years) we have a 4th of july party at our house and every year something goes wrong. The first year we decided to zip tie fire crackers to pop bottle rocket (smart I know :p) and shoot them off. Well it flew sideways and burnt our trampoline but it wasn't so bad. The next year everything was fine until one of the aerials didn't shoot right and web toward us. Luckily noone got hurt and nothing happened. This year everything was fine until we decided to shoot two aerials at the same time. Well one went off, causing the other tip over and fire straight into our field at our horse. It just exploded and he was alright. A few seconds later I looked over an there were about five big spots of fire spreading FAST because of the heat and dry dead grass. I quickly ran over and started stomping it out. I also got a shovel because sandals don't do it and eventually others came with a bucket and a hose. If we didn't get that fire out it could have burnt our barn down, then eventually our house and neighbor's. Now i keep checking on it just in case. Luckily nobody or animal was hurt but I don't think we'll be doing fireworks in a long time.

We also live in Michigan where it's normally really wet.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You were soooooooooooo lucky! There are fires all over the country because everything is so dry now.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We had a rule at our hose, before fireworks started we always had the hoses all connected and ready to go. I also learned as a kid, never do strange things with fireworks because it always seems to back fire on ya. Next year try doing them one at a time and you might enjoy them more. :p :D

Glad nobody got hurt and nothing but a little grass got burned.

I didn't buy any fireworks to shot off myself this year (instead I bought more grape vines :D ). Did go to the top of the hill and watch nearby displays going off.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Yeah won't be doing that again. Seems like we should've learned the first time! Well we have 20 more of them if any of you want them :p not taking our chances!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Next year forget it and go see the ones that the city or county you live in puts on:D. Glad everything turned out okay.[/i]

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I think this year Florida is not going to be on fire for half the year like it has been the past 4 or 5.......Normally, this time of year Fireworks would technically be Illegal for most......Hopefully the rain will continue on the way it has the past few months and keeps the fires to a minimum........

noved32

5 Year Member
I live in Michigan as well and yes it is dry!!!! I too lit the grass on fire to tonight lol!! Just one little firework and boom grass a burning!! So we hosed all our grass down for the next ten mins and all was well the rest of the night lol!!

If u don't mind me asking.. Where about a in MI... I'm in the Flint area...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
They are not legal in San Diego so I have never had a problem. Yours seem to be getting worse you might want to call it quits this year. Just sayin....

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
noved32 said:
I live in Michigan as well and yes it is dry!!!! I too lit the grass on fire to tonight lol!! Just one little firework and boom grass a burning!! So we hosed all our grass down for the next ten mins and all was well the rest of the night lol!!

If u don't mind me asking.. Where about a in MI... I'm in the Flint area...

We're in the Grand Rapids area

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am in metro Detroit and last night people were obnoxious with the fireworks. I am surprised no fires started too. Why as an adult are you setting them off until 3am and if its a kids why isn't their parent stopping that bs.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
Next year forget it and go see the ones that the city or county you live in puts on:D. Glad everything turned out okay.[/i]

Don't do that! The best part of the fourth is shooting off your own fireworks, not trying to find some place to see the fireworks, fighting the crowds, having to drag chairs to sit on, then having to sit out in the heat for longer then you should just so you can see them, then after sitting there, fighting the crowds to go back home.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Jacqui said:
Don't do that! The best part of the fourth is shooting off your own fireworks, not trying to find some place to see the fireworks, fighting the crowds, having to drag chairs to sit on, then having to sit out in the heat for longer then you should just so you can see them, then after sitting there, fighting the crowds to go back home.

Yeah we went to a public firework show once and there were people barfing everywhere! It was so gross! We haven't gone back since.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Every year someone around here sets a field or house on fire...it has never failed!

Last year, the meth-head about 2 miles down the road was playing w/ bottlerockets and managed to send one into his garage...where his meth-lab was running. VERY impressive explosion...rattled our windows and made a great mushroom ball of flame.

That's why I always stay home on the 4th and NYE...what municipal show can compete with drunk/wasted idiots playing w/ fireworks?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless I took my dog with me, I HAVE to stay home. She just goes crazy with the fireworks. Scares her half to death.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
Unless I took my dog with me, I HAVE to stay home. She just goes crazy with the fireworks. Scares her half to death.

Only one of our dogs is not afraid of fireworks...she's strange in other ways, as well.

We have to bring the horses and mule into the yard and tie them to the porch, where they can be close to us, or they'd go crazy...and Hiram, my mule, can kick right through the wall of the barn, I discovered at our 1st 4th together!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
We've always enjoyed fireworks. Usually my brother spends an entire paycheck on them (for both New Years and the 4th), and he's the one lighting them. We always sit back and enjoy the show. A couple years ago, we blew up my head (not my real one!), a ceramic bust I had to make in art school. It was actually very un-spectactular.

However, in the past year or so, my wife and I have come to alter our views on fireworks; in a nutshell, we hate them. Why? Because it is difficult to put a 15-month-old to sleep while neighbors are still shooting off the things well past 9pm. And around here, its not just a 4th of July thing; its a 3rd of July and 5th of July occasional as well...some years, its the entire week.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I always find it sad that one or two morons has to ruin the fun on the fourth for everyone. I remember as a kid lighting my own fireworks off, and having a blast. Nowadays very few cities in CA allow fireworks. This year we went to a family members house to light fireworks, we had a blast and shockingly no one was hurt, Insane I know we were able to have fun without causing injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.