What an awful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
So we all we futzing around the house, everyone kinda doing their own thing. When my son ran in from outside saying the neighbor's house was on fire! WHAT?!?!?!?! So the folks that live right behind us, came home to their house on fire. 3 fire engines, smoke pouring out from the windows. It was soooo scary, I still can't get her crying out of my head. The Firemen told her 5 more minutes and it would have been in the attic. Her bedroom is toast and the hallway. The kitchen and livingroom are smoky but fine. I can't even believe it, it was a total nightmare. I don't think I can sleep tonight. They can't figure out what started it. They found where it started, but can't figure it out. I started thinking, ok, what do I grab first! Ahhh kids, torties, bird, papers......Reality check on how fast you can lose everything you have worked so hard for. During dinner we had a nice talk with our son about fire and having a plan. Ugh.....glad this day is over, I feel bad as I know she will be crying her self to sleep for many nights, she is a super sweet lady! I am sure she could use some extra prayers if you want to send some her way, her name is Paula.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: What an aweful day!

So sad. I hope I never experience that.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

my day was not so happy either. its fathers day.. lost my dad in Oct, so this is a first.. ugh.. i hit a bird on the way to work today.. when i got there, and started lookin at calls.. there were two suicides, one natural death and a TRAGIC accident involving a child.
I will spare you all the details, but it really makes for a somber day.. Chaplins were in teh office and making sure everyone was doing ok.
Lots of lives were changed today, some lost, and many affected...

Fire scares me... my friend used to have one of those glass snow globe things sitting on her table.. she noticed on day that a book had scorch lines on it.. it wasnt till one day when she was home at the right time that she saw what was happening.. the sun was coming thru her window and hitting the globe, it was acting like a magnifying glass on the book, as the sun moved it left scorch marks on teh book.. scary... I hope your neighbor didnt loose any pets..

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok

Ah, poor her. But nobody was hurt. Things can be replaced.
But it sure is a horrible experience.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

We have had wild fires rip through Romona two times since we moved here and have known several people that have lost their homes. Most did not get out what they needed. Rebuilding is a lot of work. I have one friend that is not done yet and the Witch Creek fires were about three years ago. I would say your nieghbor will need a lot of suport. For now see if you can collect clothes that are in good shape. She will probably be in a rental until her house is rebuilt. You may be able to get a group of nieghbors together to collect kitchen items and furniture. Another thing I did was have a Pampered Chef party and let people know the free items would go to a fire victim. This is something you could do after thing settle down. When the Ceder fire happend my husbands office sponsored a family for Christmas and my son's preschool sponsored another family. They gave us lists and everybody that wanted to bought an item from the list. I got to wrap everything from my husbands work and really enjoyed getting to do that. You might be able to find a company, school, church or group that wants to do this. Maybe even a boy or girl scout troop. Not sure with the bad economy. When bad things like this happen it is a great time for other to come together and help. And what a blessing it is to be able to help someone in need. Most the people I did things for were strangers and I never did meet them. I will say a pray for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.