FINALLY, START OF NEW OUTSIDE ENCLOSURE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
The space for my three sullies is 48' x 48' x 2. It is truly a "Tortoise Haven." There are all kinds of grass and weeds in the backyard, and my sullies are loving it. I placed close to three hundred cement blocks as the first level in the perimeter of the space. There will be three levels when it's all over and done. For now, my Beasty Boy, Honey Girl, and Baby Runt have so much space to roam and graze, they barely bump into each other. And, when they do, they politely step aside (I've seen them do this, except for Baby Runt...he simply pulls in his head and limbs).

The shed will be their new house. When we complete the inside, it will have insulation, plywood for walls, and it will be equipped with heater, humidifier, and lights. I will strive to maintain a constant temp of about 70 degrees all year long.

Finally, I will build two ponds with cement so that they can soak, and do their business. It will have a drain pipe buried under the soil for cleaning out. The yard will not be fancy as sullies are know to search and destroy, but it will have well rooted plants in strategic locations, along with LARGE pebbles and stones so they can't eat them! Thanks for looking.
The bare space of the huge backyard
WP_000373.jpg
WP_000374.jpg
WP_000393.jpg
Beasty Boy and Honey Girl are already enjoying themselves
WP_000436.jpg
WP_000441.jpg
The Shed
WP_000462.jpg
Lost in this haven is Baby Runt
WP_000473.jpg
Honey Girl chomping down on her mazuri and greens
WP_000493.jpg
WP_000513.jpg
Now, that's a Mazui face!
WP_000528.jpg

Next update, when we get the shed ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Going to be fantastic. are you going to mortar the CMU blocks, or just fill with dirt?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Fill with dirt, and reinforced bars
tortadise said:
Going to be fantastic. are you going to mortar the CMU blocks, or just fill with dirt?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just checkin. They get strong when they get big. The double fence serves as double barrier though :D. I like the block look. You can also put plants in them after you fill it with dirt.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds great. I love these progressive enclosure threads. Keep the pics coming. Torts look good.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is incredible. You have thought it out so well. Keep the chair in there for you, and so they can move it around, lol

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
There's a really big reason for the double fencing. There are three dogs on three sides of us, and one is a mean, vicious pitbull. I was afraid that one of my sullies would sick their necks out into the fence and any one of those dogs could rip his head off.
tortadise said:
Just checkin. They get strong when they get big. The double fence serves as double barrier though :D. I like the block look. You can also put plants in them after you fill it with dirt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice. Why can't every one do it like this? Love it.

Is the shed temp open for discussion? I've gone back and forth on this and tried a lot of things. For me, here in SoCal, I set my thermostats in my outdoor sheds and boxes to 80-83 in winter when the days sometimes don't get warm enough. For spring and fall with day temps in the 70s or 80s, and sunny, I set the thermostats down to about 75 for night time for juveniles and adults. In summer with temps in the 90s or 100s everyday and night temps in the 60's I unplug the heaters entirely. I know they can tolerate lower temps, but I feel these temps are closer to "optimal".

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's a great idea. I certainly will adjust the thermostat according to the seasons and weather conditions. It has to be good enough for when I sleep with them Lol
Tom said:
Nice. Why can't every one do it like this? Love it.

Is the shed temp open for discussion? I've gone back and forth on this and tried a lot of things. For me, here in SoCal, I set my thermostats in my outdoor sheds and boxes to 80-83 in winter when the days sometimes don't get warm enough. For spring and fall with day temps in the 70s or 80s, and sunny, I set the thermostats down to about 75 for night time for juveniles and adults. In summer with temps in the 90s or 100s everyday and night temps in the 60's I unplug the heaters entirely. I know they can tolerate lower temps, but I feel these temps are closer to "optimal".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have found that if a young sulcata grows up inside of blocks like that they never learn to push them. I don't reinforce mine in any way. My adults could push them over anytime they wanted. They just don't. Put a new adult in there though, and kerplunk, down come the blocks...

I also stack them so that the second and third rows are pushed about a half inch into the enclosure. This "leaning" in effect discourages them from challenging the blocks too.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You know, I never thought of that, but you have a great point there. My sullies have learned not to go over an edge. I've purposely put them in an open area where there were edges that dropped off about three inches. they would get near it, walk the line, but never never passed the edge. I think the blocks coming in a bit will work the same way. As usual, thanks Tom.

Tom said:
I have found that if a young sulcata grows up inside of blocks like that they never learn to push them. I don't reinforce mine in any way. My adults could push them over anytime they wanted. They just don't. Put a new adult in there though, and kerplunk, down come the blocks...

I also stack them so that the second and third rows are pushed about a half inch into the enclosure. This "leaning" in effect discourages them from challenging the blocks too.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
How wonderful, I also love the building threads! Lucky torts :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love it! Just love all the space them little ones are getting. I realy like how you have the bricks set up by the shed's doorway. Lookin' good Sibi! Runt is soooo cute. Glad my tortoises can't see the hibiscus blooms or a few might start hitchin' down your way. :D I killed all but one maybe two that I had last summer. :( It'll be like another month or so before they come for sale again in this area. :(

On a side note... do you use your clothes line? I love hanging my clothes out. Seldom use a dryer, ect in the winter.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Thanks for sharing your build! It gives other owners ideas and hopefully benefits other tortoises and gets them the space they need.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man that's alot of blocks to set .Hope you have some good help lift with the legs not your back.Just kidding going to look good when its finished.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That's great!! Your tortoises are very lucky!!
Every tortoise\turtle belongs outside. Well, when the weather is right ofcourse!

Great job!! :) :) You are a wonderful tortoise Momma :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I can Remember when my sullies were stuck inside for the winter. They were depressed, and that made me depressed. I would let them roam around the house, but it wasn't the same as roaming in lots of space. One of my torts, Honey Girl, was so unhappy it use to make me cry to see her stay in her hide and look miserable. Whenever there was a chance that the weather was warmer, i would take.them to the park for an hour or two. When it was time to bring them back home, they would be kicking and scratching. Then Honey Girl would get lethargic and won't move. Frankly, I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm so much happier now that they are really enjoying the space and it's safe for them now.

Thanks for all the remarks. Like I said, it's not gonna look fancy, but the torts are getting exactly what they need.

luvpetz27 said:
That's great!! Your tortoises are very lucky!!
Every tortoise\turtle belongs outside. Well, when the weather is right ofcourse!

Great job!! :) :) You are a wonderful tortoise Momma :)

Status
Not open for further replies.