IMPROVEMENTS ON ENCLOSURE

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Some members know of my insulated shed that provides 80% humidity and temps from 80 - 90 degrees yearlong. It houses three sulcatas: Honey Boy, Beasty Boy, and Baby Runt. The boys have turned 4 years old, and Baby Runt, a female, is about 5 years old now. As you can imagine, Baby Runt's can be smelled continuously making the boys sex crazy. Although each pen is very secured, I need to get Baby Runt her own pad real soon. In addition, I've adopted another male sully for the next 4 years. His name is Mr. George, and he's 3 years old but weighs about 5 pounds for now. So, the three-pen shed will house the 3 males. Here are some pics of their spaces:

SORRY, PICS CAN'T BE DISPLAYED. WILL TRY ANOTHER WAY TO POST THE PICS.

IMPROVEMENTS:
The boys have become too heavy to lift, and my husband was complaining about lifting one to get him over to his outdoor yard space that had been divide. This division allows each sully his/her own space. The boys cannot be together and Baby Runt especially can't be with the boys. So, the solution? I divided the walkway and ramp leading them into their own outdoor space. In this way, each tort can come and go at their leisure without ever coming in contact with one another.
Here's what I did. I bought two 10"x 8' x 2" thick treated wood planks and had it cut to 4' long. I bought brackets strong enough to secure two pieces on top of the other, making the total height to 20" high. I bought a latch that would lock the beam straight into the ramp floor. Then I further secured the beams by framing the cements blocks that were already there with 2" x 4". This made it hard for the tort to try and push the divider over (and one has tried). And, this is the best part: the divider for the ramp is removable so that you can close the door each night. the room stays permanently divided inside. Now, each morning, my husband simply opens the door, places the removable beam into its tract on the ramp, and he's done! They can stay inside if they want or go outside as often as they want. We don't have to worry that they will run into each other--ever! Here are some pics of the project.

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This sounds really interesting, but the pictures aren't showing for me. :(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm trying to post the pics. Here we go: These are pics of the inside of the shed. It is divided with cement blocks into three pens.

SORRY...IT STILL WON'T POST. I'M USING ONENOTE, BUT IT STILL WON'T POST, UGH...

Last edited:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This sounds really interesting, but the pictures aren't showing for me. :(
I know. I'm trying to get them uploaded, but it's having issues. I will continue to try. It may be tomorrow that you seem them. :(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Can't wait till you post the pictures.:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Some members know of my insulated shed that provides 80% humidity and temps from 80 - 90 degrees yearlong. It houses three sulcatas: Honey Boy, Beasty Boy, and Baby Runt. The boys have turned 4 years old, and Baby Runt, a female, is about 5 years old now. As you can imagine, Baby Runt's can be smelled continuously making the boys sex crazy. Although each pen is very secured, I need to get Baby Runt her own pad real soon. In addition, I've adopted another male sully for the next 4 years. His name is Mr. George, and he's 3 years old but weighs about 5 pounds for now. So, the three-pen shed will house the 3 males. Here are some pics of their spaces:

WP_20151201_15_00_53_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg
WP_20151201_15_01_30_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_02_11_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_05_29_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg
Honey Boy's Beasty Boy's Baby Runt's

IMPROVEMENTS:
The boys have become too heavy to lift, and my husband was complaining about lifting one to get him over to his outdoor yard space that had been divide. This division allows each sully his/her own space. The boys cannot be together and Baby Runt especially can't be with the boys. So, the solution? I divided the walkway and ramp leading them into their own outdoor space. In this way, each tort can come and go at their leisure without ever coming in contact with one another.
Here's what I did. I bought two 10"x 8' x 2" thick treated wood planks and had it cut to 4' long. I bought brackets strong enough to secure two pieces on top of the other, making the total height to 20" high. I bought a latch that would lock the beam straight into the ramp floor. Then I further secured the beams by framing the cements blocks that were already there with 2" x 4". This made it hard for the tort to try and push the divider over (and one has tried). And, this is the best part: the divider for the ramp is removable so that you can close the door each night. the room stays permanently divided inside. Now, each morning, my husband simply opens the door, places the removable beam into its tract on the ramp, and he's done! They can stay inside if they want or go outside as often as they want. We don't have to worry that they will run into each other--ever! Here are some pics of the project.

WP_20151201_15_03_22_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_03_11_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_03_22_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_03_29_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_04_51_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_05_01_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_05_39_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_07_29_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151201_15_07_35_Pro_12-01-2015.jpg WP_20151125_15_48_43_Pro_11-25-2015.jpg WP_20151129_13_39_33_Pro_11-29-2015.jpg WP_20151129_13_51_26_Pro_11-29-2015.jpg

Yard divided w/blocks in three ways.
This is Mr. George, My new addition.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Wow amazing enclosures! What a good idea with the ramp and dividers, look really secure too. your torts are beautiful you can tell they are well cared for and happy lucky torts!! Just out of interest, the blue ball in one of the pics, do they bother with it?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wow amazing enclosures! What a good idea with the ramp and dividers, look really secure too. your torts are beautiful you can tell they are well cared for and happy lucky torts!! Just out of interest, the blue ball in one of the pics, do they bother with it?
Oh, they love it! It's like a little challenge for them. Honey Boy would roll over it and it seems like he tries to balance himself on it. Funny to watch. He does it over and over at times. I have a small red soccer ball for Beasty Boy, but he messes more with the hugh red ball that I have for him. I think he thinks it's a red alien, or something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice. It looks like someone cut off Mr. George's gular.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wow!! A fantastic enclosure, it really is. Lucky torts!:D

And congrats.

Cathy Norbury

Amazing enclosure, that shows a lot of thought and hard work to make sure your tortoises are happy and healthy which they definitely appear to be. You have lucky tortoises to have such a great home. I have a small light weight ball in my enclosure for my horsefields and they enjoy knocking it around, I haven't seen any balancing yet though lol. Xxx

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very nice, Sibi! Give yourself several high fives.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Nice. It looks like someone cut off Mr. George's gular.
Me. George had a rough beginning, like Baby Runt. He's three years old and weights only about 5 lbs. He has since been properly cared for, and now, with my care for four years, he'll be huge and very healthy when his mom returns from Japan.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Very nice, Sibi! Give yourself several high fives.
Thanks Jacqui. You know that necessity is the mother of invention. My husband needed a solution, and I gave him one that works for us and the torts. They even seem to enjoy it too cause now they have their own space and don't have to fight to defend their territory.

Prairie Mom

I'm really impressed by your ramps. Nice job.

Are those Kane heat mats you're using? They're pretty expensive buggers aren't they? What do you think of them?

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Do you see the blue spiky toy ball in the photo above? Honey Boy loves to walk over top of it. I think he either enjoys the challenge or else he's training himself for something--maybe a tortoise mud run or something... :p