Finally 100% backyard grown diet!

aztortoisegal

Another shot..can't figure out how to add more than one pic at a time. Sorry!

Attachments

• tmp_9649-IMG_20150512_165816112383063.jpg
    tmp_9649-IMG_20150512_165816112383063.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21

aztortoisegal

Just took these three shots. I get a decent haul each year, but the majority of them shrivel up before I can eat them. BUT...now that little Hoffy enjoys the leaves for a treat every once in awhile, that's why I care about them more than anything now. That, and the shade they provide. In another month or so, the leaves will be twice as thick, and lush!

Attachments

• tmp_9649-IMG_20150512_165816-1835747355.jpg
    tmp_9649-IMG_20150512_165816-1835747355.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17

aztortoisegal

Fairly decent bunch!

Attachments

• tmp_9649-IMG_20150512_165841898142394.jpg
    tmp_9649-IMG_20150512_165841898142394.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

KathyJ

{{where would one go to get either seeds for a grape plant or the plant its self??}}

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. I'm thinking of buying a few grapes and try growing the seeds after drying them out. I love experiments, anyway. Will have to find out if grapes need lots of water or are drought tolerant.

From what I learned in my Master Gardener's class, some plants are hybrids. So if you grow a plant from a hybrid's seeds, you can end up with a much different plant than the one you got the seed from.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see that this is an old thread. But I thought I'd ad to it...
Hibiscus. The leaves and flowers. These grow in any tropical climate and for ages I've leaned on them heavily as food for when I have little else or am busy or am lazy. Mostly lazy.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's coming up on a year that I've had my little Sully, and I'm finally done feeding him anything that came from the grocery store. Yay! Little victories...little victories.

I rather enjoyed hand feeding him pieces of squash and dark greens, but over the past few months I was determined to get him to forage for plants in his yard. So, he's been doing just that for past couple weeks, without any supplements from "mom". He eats:

Bermuda grass
Grape leaves
Cactus (I chop that up and leave a few pieces for him to find)
Dandelion greens
Whatever birdseed is, looks like various grasses

I spray his shallow water dish everyday to refill it.

Happy that he's feeding himself and not depending on supermarket veggies at all anymore.
AZTortoisegal,

Are you still giving him just these 5 "backyard" naturally grown items? I would not have thought that he would get the necessary variety and nutrition from just 5 different weeds? Please let us know how he is doing now after such a long time?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you please tell me what is "birdseed" grass? Is this what we call "guinea grass" in Jamaica?

Coexist

{{where would one go to get either seeds for a grape plant or the plant its self??}}

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. I'm thinking of buying a few grapes and try growing the seeds after drying them out. I love experiments, anyway. Will have to find out if grapes need lots of water or are drought tolerant.

I have seen grape plants at the Tractor Supply store here in GA. I know they aren't just in GA but looking or calling some farm stores may give you the info you need to get some and save on gas.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Grapevine stock plants should all be appearing soon at most gardening supply stores, big box garden centres, Walmarts garden centre, etc. i really like the bare root grape vines provided by mailorder from Isons, great healthy vines, abundance of fruit and leaves. Whats nice about Isons is that their online service really provides a good description of each and every type.

Heres the link https://www.isons.com/product-category/bunch-grapes/seeded/