Female or male Russian tort for a first time owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Which is an easier Russian Tort to look after;
Male or female? And why? (If there's any difference)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would pick a male unless you know for sure you are getting a captive bred hatchlings. Female tortoises can carry sperm for some time and it could be possible that a female that is wild caught could produce eggs and that can be a added thing to deal with and they can also become egg bound. A male, will be smaller then a female too. I would pick male. BTW, most pet store Russians are wild caught unless they are hatchlings

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My male has a better personality and is "outgoing".
My females aren't interested in checking me out when I approach the pen.

Sent from my TFOapp

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
@wellington and @teamgomberg I guess a male it is!

From Ella

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Lol. ..maybe I did word that kinda funny :p

I recently separated my male. Now the 3 girls live free from male Russian rape and maybe I will see some personality develop. :D

Sent from my TFOapp

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
Team Gomberg said:

I recently separated my male. Now the 3 girls live free from male Russian rape and maybe I will see some personality develop. :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Haha

From Ella

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
Team Gomberg said:

Sent from my TFOapp

Tell me if they are

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ella, I have 3 girls. Each named after the color nail polish dot I use to ID them.

Pink has always been the most "outgoing". Very similar to my male except for when she is subjecting to his torment.
Red is just...a tortoise. does her thing.
Purple has been the most shy and hiding.

Now that the male is gone, pink is still the same, red hasn't realized he is gone yet but purple has blossomed already. She is out way more now and I often see her following with pink and hanging around her.
It's only been a week. Hopefully in a few more weeks I see more changes :)

My male is still way cooler though ;) He is more like a dog. Comes running to me when I approach the pen. Eats from my hand. Tries to push my hand away to bite at my feet. Very active, crawls and walks all over the place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ella, just be aware that we are speaking in general terms here. There are female russians that are very friendly and outgoing, and there are males that are very shy and uninterested in human interaction. I just don't want you to be disappointed if your new tortoise doesn't act like a fearless puppy right away. Many of them take some time to settle in and calm down, especially if you get a wild caught one from a pet store.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I would say, if you plan to keep a single tortoise, I would go with a male, for a few reasons:
-they are easier to find in the pet trade
-they stay smaller than females
-you don't ever have to worry about eggs.

Each tortoise has a different personality... there are shy males and shy females, outgoing males, and outgoing females. Their personality can also change over the years... he will learn that you're his food-bringer, and will interact with you. My male is very friendly towards me, he loves to come over and visit. 2 of my females are very friendly, too. 2 of them are snooty and would rather ignore me than interact.

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
I have a male and a female.
My male is very active and is full of personalty
My female is the clown though! She's always up at the glass and smiling and she actually favors my daddy, whenever she sees him she stretches her head out as far as she can.
Basically what I'm saying is that both sexes are full of personality so honestly, it's up to whatever you would like. No matter what you will have a turtle full of personality :)

Sean Lee, and Big mama my Russian Tortoises[TURTLE][TWO HEARTS]

Status
Not open for further replies.