Tortoise nod head action

hktrop

Location (City and/or State)
Artesia, CA
My Russian male nod head few time with female, after that then use his head pulling her hand and face,
not sure is want to bit her up, but the female get away, the male keep on follow her and chase her.
I think this is want mating or fighting only.
But today My female Russian nod her head few time to the male (new arrive) Hermanns tortoise,
after that she smelt on him and get away, what is it means? the male hermanns has no any action,
and she just do her own and walk away,
Any body know what's going on?
thank you for helping.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
It means you shouldnt have a hermann's tortoise together with a russian tortoise. Different types should not be housed together. They shouldn't breed nor should they be together because they can spread diseases

hktrop

Artesia, CA
It means you shouldnt have a hermann's tortoise together with a russian tortoise. Different types should not be housed together. They shouldn't breed nor should they be together because they can spread diseases

I am not breeding them, I just want some tortoise living in my backyard, my backyard is about 1,000 sq feet, I let them free outside as natural,
am I doing something wrong? they do not fight, they just stay in different place. I like them they have friends only, not too lonely in my backyard.
anybody can answer nod head action?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
So what's best for the tortoises doesn't matter apparently...

Can someone please answer the nod head action?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Head nodding is aggression.
You see it before mating or before a fight.
Russian tortoises fight often. And it can be violent.
They should never be kept together as adults and no species should be mixed.
Make a few separate enclosures so you can still keep them in your yard and they can live peacefully apart from each other.

hktrop

Artesia, CA

maybe I am doing wrong, I don't know, I like to take care them good. if not, why I keep them.
at the beginning, I have one Russian male only for 10 years by himself, I think too lonely for him,
so found a girl friend and some friends for him only. I don't know it is not good for him, let me see what
go on, I can separate my backyard by wood or brick if they don't like each other. need learning how to keep tortoise

hktrop

Artesia, CA
Head nodding is aggression.
You see it before mating or before a fight.
Russian tortoises fight often. And it can be violent.
They should never be kept together as adults and no species should be mixed.
Make a few separate enclosures so you can still keep them in your yard and they can live peacefully apart from each other.

three weeks ago, after few second nodding, I don't see they fight or mating,( I GUESS THEY MAY BE MATE OR FIGHT ONLY)
but the female just get away and male keep on follow her, both of them are Russian.
today I put a new hermann in the back yard, the female Russian nodding the male hermanns 2,3 second, and get away,
no fighting and peaceful eating food at the same plate.
I posting is why female nodding the male and not male nodding the female.

hktrop

Artesia, CA
I think people thinking my post is put one Russian and one Hermanns together and mate,
it is not, I have male and female Russian and I have male and female Hermanns, I am not try to cross breed,
I am not a breeder too, not trying to raise baby.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
"But today My female Russian nod her head few time to the male (new arrive) Hermanns tortoise,"

What are we missing? @Toddrickfl1 @wellington ... someone better get me out of here! lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
"But today My female Russian nod her head few time to the male (new arrive) Hermanns tortoise,"

What are we missing? @Toddrickfl1 @wellington ... someone better get me out of here! lol
Lol @method89

@hktrop It's a sign of dominance/aggression, both males and females will do it. It would best to divide your yard up so each tortoise has its own space. Your Russians might not have fought yet but one bad fight when your not around could end badly, and end up costing you some vet bills. If you do eventually want to breed them you can put them together for short periods of time and supervise them.

hktrop

Artesia, CA
Lol @method89

@hktrop It's a sign of dominance/aggression, both males and females will do it. It would best to divide your yard up so each tortoise has its own space. Your Russians might not have fought yet but one bad fight when your not around could end badly, and end up costing you some vet bills. If you do eventually want to breed them you can put them together for short periods of time and supervise them.

Thanks your information, I will separate Russian, but can I put Hermanns male and female altogether?
I don't see they nodding yet, the nodding action only see from Russian.
so sad, he can only live alone in his live, no friends

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should never live in pairs and species should never be mixed. Tortoise do not get lonely. That is a human emotion. They are not pack animals. They live alone in the wild and prefer it that way. If another tortoise enters their territory, they chase it away. Other tortoises are not seen as friends. They are seen as competitors for the same resources and intruders. Tortoises don't want other tortoises around.

You should build separate pens for each of your tortoises. Groups with one male and several females can usually work, but not always. Females can be just as aggressive as males sometimes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To add, the groups like Tom spoke of can only work if they have the proper amount of space. Putting a group in an area that is only big enough for 1 or 2 torts will not work either.