Female marginated tortoise wanted in Canada

landon

5 Year Member
I have been looking for a breeder who works with marginated torts. I have been looking for a mate for my male for the last year or so with no luck. I have been in contact with garden state torts and chris was helpful but due to restrictions at the Border, he is unable to help with the transaction. If anyone could help my tort would really appreciate it ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439922508.405013.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Are you looking to lend your male out or are you after a mature marginated female? If the latter, I saw last month you said you couldn't offer a larger enclosure than the 4'x4' one you currently have - where would you house the new addition?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Is that a red bulb shining down on your tort? I would greatly strongly suggest taking it out and replacing it with another heat source, either a basking UVA bulb or, if that is already in use, a CHE

landon

5 Year Member
Does anyone sell marginated torts in Canada? If so please contact ASAP I am in need for a female for my male.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439959138.752385.jpg

landon

5 Year Member
I keep a uvb bulb and a red lamp for day so temps get to where they need to for him. And then at night the red stays on to keep his night temp level? I thought this type of light wasn't harmful for torts if I can use a better source please let me know

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I keep a uvb bulb and a red lamp for day so temps get to where they need to for him. And then at night the red stays on to keep his night temp level? I thought this type of light wasn't harmful for torts if I can use a better source please let me know
Noooo any colored bulbs are not safe. For extra heat (especially night heat) a ceramic heat emitter is the best choice.

landon

5 Year Member
I've heard not to use the ceramic heat sources that's why I used the colour ?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Any new tortoise will need a 6 month quarantine with full set up. You'll need that set up permanently because tortoises do not do well in pairs. Tortoises don't have mates and they don't have friends. They don't pair bond. They do breed opportunistically.

In captivity, that turns into a dangerous situation for the female because she can't escape. The male can be relentless. In avoiding him, she has limited access to food, water, basking spots. She can be physically damaged.

He doesn't want a mate. He wants a bigger better habitat. Put your efforts there for now, and consider breeding further down the line.

landon

5 Year Member
Thank you for the tips. I know that torts don't do well in pairs that's why I have a tank for each.. My torts currently in a spacious enclosure and is outside whenever weather is good. Do you have marginated torts that's what I am looking for. He's been trying to hump anything he can he's wanting to breed from the behaviour displayed daily.

landon

5 Year Member
Sorry I find it hard for you to comment on the behaviour of a tort u have never seen aside from a picture

landon

5 Year Member
No, the red light is not good. The CHE is good when you need the extra heat.

Does this mean that your UVB bulb dies not produce heat? What are you using?
I use a uvb bulb it's because his enclosure is big and needs the proper temperature gradients

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Thank you for the tips. I know that torts don't do well in pairs that's why I have a tank for each.. My torts currently in a spacious enclosure and is outside whenever weather is good. Do you have marginated torts that's what I am looking for. He's been trying to hump anything he can he's wanting to breed from the behaviour displayed daily.
Actually that very well could be dominance. You may have a veeeery dominant tort.
What are the dimensions of your tank for him? Generally torts do not do well in tanks. If he needs to be kept indoors, a large tortoise table that you build or repurpose something like a bookshelf for would be better.