Female marginated tortoise wanted in Canada

landon

5 Year Member
I have done the research on tort behaviour and I have a 5x6 foot table indoor and a big outdoor gated area. I just don't understand how me asking if anyone is breeding them turns into him saying don't do it? I'm trying to expand my knowledge in the tort world, and I am ready for the next step. People in this industry are condescending instead of helpful.

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
I have done the research on tort behaviour and I have a 5x6 foot table indoor and a big outdoor gated area. I just don't understand how me asking if anyone is breeding them turns into him saying don't do it? I'm trying to expand my knowledge in the tort world, and I am ready for the next step. People in this industry are condescending instead of helpful.
He's not saying don't do it, he's just saying it would be a better idea to make him a much bigger enclosure with many sight barriers and hides because that will make him happier and stop the stressful behaviors. Then after he would settle down in this enclosure, you could then get a couple females and quarantine them for the needed 6 months, then introduce them into his enclosure that you have now made big enough to support three torts. That's all he's saying.

landon

5 Year Member
Sight barriers are going to stop him from humping things? That would be great if that's the case. what would be good visual barriers aside from real plants, as I don't have a living vivarium. As a pet owner it's hard to swallow when someone says your not providing the proper living conditions for your pet. Especially when you do take pride in the care of your animals. Thank you for the help but again as no one has answered the original question. Do you breed marginated torts in Canada.?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Port Credit Pets has - or at least had - a marginated breeder. It would be worth contacting them to ask who is still breeding them and what their availability is like. They are not an especially common species in Canada.

landon

5 Year Member
Thank you Sarah for answering my question :) I'll check that out ASAP

landon

5 Year Member
If there is anyone who has a mature female I would be willing to lend my male, as long as I can see the living space that will be provided, I would rather have a female for myself as I am building a tort room outside my house with enough space for 3 or 4