Feeling dumb

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Make your plastic cover smaller so that you can tuck it inside the aquarium.

dwright27

5 Year Member
I use clear shower curtains to cover enclosures. With the curtain and damp substrate it keeps it so humid I have no need for a humidifier. Confused as to why you need it?

I was using a Reptifogger before, and I was covering the tank with a plastic drop sheet.. but it wasn't completely closed and would dry out very quickly. So I thought I would need a similar setup.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Or use heavy duty foil on the top with holes cut out for lights. I don't like humidifiers.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Instead of covering it with a plastic sheet, why don't you just put a lid on it, cut 2 holes in a piece of wood, 1 hole for heat source and another for your fogger. In fact you won't need a fogger if you cover it. If you make the lid in 2 pieces you can just move the half of lid without the holes in it to feed and clean. This would do until you get your new enclosure.

Because I have zero ability or tools.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Make your plastic cover smaller so that you can tuck it inside the aquarium.

I considered that, but the outside of the tank is what is keeping the plastic from touching the light fixtures..

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I was using a Reptifogger before, and I was covering the tank with a plastic drop sheet.. but it wasn't completely closed and would dry out very quickly. So I thought I would need a similar setup.
Strange. That hasn't been my experience. I use the curtains over my boxie enclosures with damp peat moss. No himidifier. Humidity is about 75%.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Or use heavy duty foil on the top with holes cut out for lights. I don't like humidifiers.

I had foil on there before, but it was still a giant pain in the *** when I was trying to feed her.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Strange. That hasn't been my experience. I use the curtains over my boxie enclosures with damp peat moss. No himidifier. Humidity is about 75%.

*sigh* info is always changing, or I'm just that stupid (feeling it today, anyway). There are countless threads on here from people who use humidifiers of some kind successfully. I have been struggling with heat and humidity since I brought Story home 2 years ago. I live in Canada, otherwise she would be outside.

dwright27

5 Year Member
i really don't see a way around this either without a closed chamber

get a screen lid tape the screening making it appear plastic on top blocking air but leave the area the lights go untaped sitting on the screen.

Nope. Won't work. The screen will block too much of the UV, and I have a CHE in there that does nothing when sitting on top. (Tried already)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
*sigh* info is always changing, or I'm just that stupid (feeling it today, anyway). There are countless threads on here from people who use humidifiers of some kind successfully. I have been struggling with heat and humidity since I brought Story home 2 years ago. I live in Canada, otherwise she would be outside.
Some people do use them. I dont. I'm in cleveland so I get it!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
4' long, 18" wide. Yes, I know it's too small. There's nothing I can do about that right now.
I wasn't thinking that it's too small, I was trying to think of easy ideas to cover it for you with minimal work.

dwright27

5 Year Member
I wasn't thinking that it's too small, I was trying to think of easy ideas to cover it for you with minimal work.

I'm sorry, I'm just so used to every single person telling me that it's too small, or that I'm doing something else entirely incorrectly. Feeling defensive atm. :(

dwright27

5 Year Member
I think so far my only viable options are a) figure out how to do an appropriate PVC frame and tape the plastic to that and b) cutting the shower curtain smaller

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

This conflicting info thing is tough. I don't know how to help a person navigate all this conflict…

I will say that once you finally set up and use a big closed chamber, you will completely understand what we have all been saying.

Sure lots of people use humidifiers. Lots of people still use soil/sand mixes for substrate. Lots of people do all sorts of things that I think are less than optimal, but that doesn't mean its the way to go.

I can sense your frustration, and that is a bummer. The bright side is that no one is down on you at all because we've all been there, and there are lots of good lessons in this for anyone reading and just starting out themselves. Lesson number one that I would hope potential new tortoise keepers would learn is to have the correct enclosure set up and ready BEFORE bringing that new animal home. Doing this would avoid the frustration you are feeling right now.

Just know that we are not trying to make you feel bad at all. Our intent is too help remedy your situation. And frankly you are doing better than most people "out there", so you get a pat on the back for that. That you care and are trying so hard is praiseworthy and commendable. I clicked over to your other thread and your enclosure design looks really great. When you finally get that done, you will have a very easy time, and I think you will attain a whole new level of enjoyment from your pet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing that has struck me with this thread is how very helpful our members are trying to be with you. The Forum is slow this a.m., but your thread has been VERY active. The helpful ideas are just coming to you one right after another.

Conflicting info is hard. But you take it all in and choose what works for you. Learn what your species of tortoise requires in order to grow healthy and happy, and provide that the best way you can.