Feeding question.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a question about super worms and their pupae. Sometimes my boxie doesn't eat her super worms fast enough and they escape her dish, only to be found later under something in a pre-pupae or full on pupae state.

The pupae are basically immobile and would be easier for her to eat than the quick and twitchy super worms. Is feeding pupae and alternative or a possible "addition" to her diet or are they low on nutrients because they are in the transformation state?
Also, at some point, one or more of those pupae will turn into a full on beetle, are those appropriate boxie snacks as well? What is their nutritional status, and what does a a super worm beetle eat?
Sorry for all the questions, but after finding 4 in her enclosure, I figured I needed more info. Thanks!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Feeding question.

i don't know the nutritional value of superworm pupae or beetles, but i have fed my ebt the beetles, and she loves them.

you should try breeding your own super worms if they're doing it on their own anyways, ha. each stage (worm, pupae, beetle) has to be kept separate and they can all live on mashed chicken feed, bran meal or oatmeal. you must offer a piece of potato or carrot for hydration or they will eat each other. I'm not an expert and there are many tutorials on how to raise them.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Elohi said:
I have a question about super worms and their pupae. Sometimes my boxie doesn't eat her super worms fast enough and they escape her dish, only to be found later under something in a pre-pupae or full on pupae state.

The pupae are basically immobile and would be easier for her to eat than the quick and twitchy super worms. Is feeding pupae and alternative or a possible "addition" to her diet or are they low on nutrients because they are in the transformation state?
Also, at some point, one or more of those pupae will turn into a full on beetle, are those appropriate boxie snacks as well? What is their nutritional status, and what does a a super worm beetle eat?
Sorry for all the questions, but after finding 4 in her enclosure, I figured I needed more info. Thanks!

I'm not sure on the nutrional value, but I'm sure it's almost identical. I don't you can go wrong either way. If it crawls and looks yucky to us, that means a box turtle will love it lol

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Yes, the boxies will eat them as pupae and as a beetle. I saw a nutritional sheet at a pet store a few months back. Unfortunately I don't recall which was which but it stated that the mealworms have Xg of fat and Xg of protein but once they turn into a beetle, those amounts are the opposite. Example: worms= 2g fat and 1g protein, a beetle= 1g fat and 2g protein. Those numbers are NOT correct, I don't remember what they were, I made it up for this example.