Favorite flower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
I don't offer a lot of flowers other than the Hibiscus that grows in the yard but I have given them other flowers in the past. I would say that pansies have been favored the most by my tortoises although the flowers are so small they are really only practical for little guys.
One thing that has puzzled me for years though is that many folks say that their tortoises like geraniums. I grow big, beautiful orange/red geraniums every year in pots at work. These things produce flowers like mad but I have never once seen my red foots touch them---not a single time. The kind I grow are called 'zonal geraniums' and the plants have a weird, heavy odor to them.
One other thing...someone mentioned snapdragons. Aren't they toxic?

Madortoise

5 Year Member
1) red hibiscus, close 2nds are: dandelions, fusha color soft rose petals from wild small bush kind not thick ornamental ones, and recently getting into kabocha squash blossoms.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
I offer nasturtiums, pot marigold petals, shasta daisy petals, hardy hibiscus flowers, squash blossoms of butternut, yellow, and zuccini, coreopsis, pertunias, clover, wood violets, chicory, dandelion, rose petals, borage blossoms, and another purple flower I am forgetting at the moment that was in a tort grazeing mix. They go nuts for the squash blossoms and are the faorite hands-down...they love them as much as mushrooms. I keep Manouria emys phayeri, for those who are curious. My new pair of ornate uromastyx seem unenthused with any blossoms, though I don't have any dandelion on hand this time of year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I offer roses, hibiscus and dandelions, since that's what I have. They are all eaten with vigor. I plan on adding pumpkin flowers this year, after I have a conversation with the pumpkin patch guy about pesticides.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Mine love Rose of Sharon, hibiscus, roses and red trumpet vine (though I'm considering keeping it cut back so it produces nothing).

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
squash flowers for sure! bert can find them a mile away!

Status
Not open for further replies.