Favorite tortoise reference book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Which is your favorite tortoise reference book? Which book(s) do you routinely pull from your shelf when you need to look something up about a tortoise?

Scumdeth

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth England
I believe that this website is all i need to get all my info.
Ive spent many pounds on husbandry books that arent very old, but may have outdated information. But im not wasting my money anymore, im saving it all up for more REDFOOTS.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There aren't that many turtle/tortoise reference books on the market that have fresh information in them. I have the Encyclopedia of turtles that I use to find where a turtle is from, but how to take care of them hasn't come from a book for many years.

Yvonne

Scumdeth

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Plymouth England
Dont waste your money!!!
Learn from many people, not just one persons ideas!
Dont buy books, LOOK ON THIS SITE!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I belong to the Tortoise Trust, and they send a newsletter out that I love. That's about the only reading material that I get, otherwise I lurk on different forums and read everything. What would we do without computers??????

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have 2 books on tortoises and they did not help me that much. The informations I trust the most come from this site and the site tortoise trust.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Pritchard's Encyclopedia of Turtles and Tortoises. A good general reference if outdated. I use it to find where from and then research that area and use that info. I research alot of horticultural and climate sources and relate back to tortoise.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
There are many good references... It's impossible for me to list just one. There are some very good references on specific topics and species... I you were to ask what is your best reference for... something specific... I could give you a title on that.

The problem with the internet as a prime reference is that it is not peer reviewed... It is in a way... but it's not the same as a good book. Anyone can post anything on the net without much thought put into it. There are some people who do post some really good thoughtful and usefull information but that is more the exception than the rule. You will note that most of the really good stuff that you find on the net are pdf reprints of books or papers.

Any reference that is still quoted in a reference list must still carry valid and useful information. I don't think the internet will ever replace a good book.

Its it mind blowing that there are tortoise keepers that will say 'well... that work is out of date'... I've run into this so many times and I can't help but think how ignorant that statement is.

I collect Herp litterature. I cannot count how often I reference the old litterature or have I been asked for a copy of an old paper or section of a reference book.

I do hope you don't develope the attitude of some keepers that there are no good new books because there are many... to many to list one good single one unless you are talking about a specific topic in the keeping of chelonians.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I believe the Internet can be a valuable tool. Like any other reference source there are good and bad sources. I have found some wonderful sources on the net relateing to my chosen species. Some are very dry and technical but the info gleaned from them is invaluable. As Ed said, the old references are not to be discounted because we should remember that these authors for most part got dirty, bugbit, and uncomfortable in their field studies. They have been there.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Itort said:
Pritchard's Encyclopedia of Turtles and Tortoises. A good general reference if outdated. I use it to find where from and then research that area and use that info. I research alot of horticultural and climate sources and relate back to tortoise.

This would be my most often book I use. Like Larry I find it a good starting point, especially when there are so many turtles that I never recall hearing about. Second would be Andy Highfield's book.

I also keep old reptile mags and just about every book I come across that has to do with turtles or torts. Care may not be correct in them, but I like having the ability to check on as many photos as I can to see wide varieties of colors and patterns. Also nice to see the set ups they are using for housing, ect..,

Books and information found online all need to be taking with a grain of salt.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In a recent speech to our local herp society, Dr. Joseph Collins, author of a gazillion books on herps including several field guides, said to not rely too heavily on the internet- too much bad, old, misleading, over-generalized, etc. on there. A good source for a lot of stuff, obviously, but not everything.

He also pointed out that many authors of good info intentionally keep their stuff off the net since they expect to make some money from their work.

My printed references are:
- Dr. Douglas Mader's book "Reptile Surgery and Medicine" (mostly WAY over my head, but some great stuff in there.)
- Pritchard's "Turtles of Venezuela" which not only has a great section on Red-foots, but has some wonderful introductions to many aspects of turtles. Well worth looking for through a library loan or something.
- Debra Moskovits' thesis "The Behavior and Ecology of the Two Amazonian Tortoises, Geochelone carbonaria and Geochelone denticulata in Northwestern Brazil" (Not designed as a hobbyist's reference, but tons of great info to be teased out of it.)
- Mike Pingleton's "Practical Care and Maintenance of the Redfoot Tortoise"
- Richard Cary Paull's "Vol. 4: The Great Redfoot Tortoise"
- and a lot of published articles in the International Zoo Yearbook, Radiata, Reptiles, and more. (I have a decent library of digitized articles from many sources that I refer to).

I REALLY like to research stuff! :)

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Thank you for references

Thank you for your opinions and information about this topic. Having a science educational background, and both of us currently working in the medical field, we are very research/publication oriented. Having authored in our own field, we know what kind of work and research goes into any publication. So, even if they are hard to come by, we value such things.

And of course as several of you pointed out, the information may be dated, or just plain incorrect. However, we strive to read more, learn more, and experience more. As this happens, we will be better able to critique the information we come across. That's really all we're trying to do - become more educated. And relying on a single source for information (like a forum), is in our opinions, unwise. Now please don't anyone take that the wrong way. We absolutely value everyone's input here. Truly! We just want to broaden our base of knowledge.

We realize that the keeping/breeding tortoises is not a hot topic in the world in general, but there is good information out there. We come across some occasionally, just not very often. We are pleased to have received some ideas from all of you. Again, thank you. There are several new references we are now on the lookout for!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I totally forgot... These are by far my most favorite references... while they are general very inexpensive guides that cover the basics that every keeper should be acquainted with...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0793828821/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0793828988/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
(which has been released)

Ed;)

Tim/Robin said:
Which is your favorite tortoise reference book? Which book(s) do you routinely pull from your shelf when you need to look something up about a tortoise?

S

stells

l've heard the author is a good bloke too Ed ;) bit of a looker aswell ;)

Ed you used a smilie face i am shocked.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Thanks all around...

Ed
(i hate those things)

stells said:
l've heard the author is a good bloke too Ed ;) bit of a looker aswell ;)

Ed you used a smilie face i am shocked.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: Thank you for references

Tim/Robin said:
And relying on a single source for information (like a forum), is in our opinions, unwise. Now please don't anyone take that the wrong way. We absolutely value everyone's input here. Truly! We just want to broaden our base of knowledge.

I think you will find many of us belong to many forums and sites for this very same reason. The more folks you get the chance to share information with, the more you do learn.

I have Ed's Russian book, but am waiting for a chance to get an autographed copy of his other book. :D

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
RE: Thank you for references

I'll be in Daytona... hopefully with some copies to sell...

Jacqui said:
Tim/Robin said:
And relying on a single source for information (like a forum), is in our opinions, unwise. Now please don't anyone take that the wrong way. We absolutely value everyone's input here. Truly! We just want to broaden our base of knowledge.

I think you will find many of us belong to many forums and sites for this very same reason. The more folks you get the chance to share information with, the more you do learn.

I have Ed's Russian book, but am waiting for a chance to get an autographed copy of his other book. :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If scientific articles are what your looking for Tim and Robin than the best places to look first are Copeia and Chelonian Conservation and Biology. You won't find tortoise articles in every issue of Copeia (which is fish and reptiles) but I've gotten quite a few. :D
There have been a few turtle and tortoise symposiums over the years and the published books of all the papers presented are great also.

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Do you even want to get intou journals and seperates...?

At last count there are over 75 journals that publish articles on herpetology (which includes chelonians). Three of the chelonian specific publications... CCB as Danny mentioned, Radiata published by the DGHT and a publication called Marginata (in german) There are also a few good french publications but the frogs refuse to publish in english.

egyptiandan said:
If scientific articles are what your looking for Tim and Robin than the best places to look first are Copeia and Chelonian Conservation and Biology. You won't find tortoise articles in every issue of Copeia (which is fish and reptiles) but I've gotten quite a few. :D
There have been a few turtle and tortoise symposiums over the years and the published books of all the papers presented are great also.

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Madkins007 said:
In a recent speech to our local herp society, Dr. Joseph Collins, author of a gazillion books on herps including several field guides, said to not rely too heavily on the internet- too much bad, old, misleading, over-generalized, etc. on there. A good source for a lot of stuff, obviously, but not everything.

He also pointed out that many authors of good info intentionally keep their stuff off the net since they expect to make some money from their work.

My printed references are:
- Dr. Douglas Mader's book "Reptile Surgery and Medicine" (mostly WAY over my head, but some great stuff in there.)
- Pritchard's "Turtles of Venezuela" which not only has a great section on Red-foots, but has some wonderful introductions to many aspects of turtles. Well worth looking for through a library loan or something.
- Debra Moskovits' thesis "The Behavior and Ecology of the Two Amazonian Tortoises, Geochelone carbonaria and Geochelone denticulata in Northwestern Brazil" (Not designed as a hobbyist's reference, but tons of great info to be teased out of it.)
- Mike Pingleton's "Practical Care and Maintenance of the Redfoot Tortoise"
- Richard Cary Paull's "Vol. 4: The Great Redfoot Tortoise"
- and a lot of published articles in the International Zoo Yearbook, Radiata, Reptiles, and more. (I have a decent library of digitized articles from many sources that I refer to).

I REALLY like to research stuff! :)
Madkins,where did you find Moskovitz's thesis? I've been searching for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.