fav substrate for stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickle

5 Year Member
Just want to get everyone opinion on what the use and there favorite substrate for there stars.I se 70% soil and 30% sand I like this because holds humidity can grow grasses and plants in if fed properly it wont impact intestines.they can dig and walk steady on it.dowsides are harder to clean and bugs.

arotester

5 Year Member
i generally use pure farm soil(black soil)without any mix(organic off-course)and have a separate area free of soil as a feeding and soaking area.About plantation i use fake plastic plants just as hiding areas.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I'm using a mix of what is probably 60% organic potting mix to 40% play sand. The potting mix is mostly decomposing leaf matter and peat moss.

I use spagnum moss in my hide and under the food dish to try to deter mold.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I use a mix of composted stuff from the yard, It holds moisture and supports plant growth. I also have bugs in the mix, they help keep it clean. The last pic is what was under the water bowl this morning.

tickle

5 Year Member
Anthony P said:
I'm using a mix of what is probably 60% organic potting mix to 40% play sand. The potting mix is mostly decomposing leaf matter and peat moss.

I use spagnum moss in my hide and under the food dish to try to deter mold.

The decomposing plant matter also create heat to I bet

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Len said:
I use a mix of composted stuff from the yard, It holds moisture and supports plant growth. I also have bugs in the mix, they help keep it clean. The last pic is what was under the water bowl this morning.

So happy to see you use the bugs Len. I use springtails in my tortoise enclosures. They are like a smaller version of the gray isopods you have in your setup. They really do a great job cleaning, and have made it so I have not needed to change/clean my Spider Tortoise substrate in a year and a half. They eat all of the fallen food and feces, and inhibit the growth of mold and fungi.

tickle

5 Year Member
That's how I kept my reef tank clean.I guess I will just keep the bugs in mine

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
I use coco coir and then fir bark around the water bowl area.... However, I'm not liking the coco coir much, it sticks to my star, and gets quite dusty when dry, which I think irritates him (or her!). So I'm going to change to all fir bark I think

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
Thanks :) He's only tiny so it would be difficult for him to swallow at the moment!! And I have never seen him attempt it. I feed on a slate tile to prevent accidental ingestion.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use a coco coir mixed with peat moss on the bottom layer, then thicker pieces of cococoir and cypress mulch on the top layer. The tortoises seem to like it, and it's easy to maintain humidity where I want it in this set up.

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
I think that's what I'll do actually, with the bark covering a later of coir. However, i don't like how splintery the cypress is, hence why I prefer the fir :)

tickle

5 Year Member
For a hatchling the breeders say just papertowels or the fake carpet stuff.my guy likes to snug in the sandnunder one of my ceramin heaters. What would be a good option for them to snug into you guys no what I mean if you use just the paper and some crumbled up towels.I would like to here some of the pro's advice latly I have seen some die offs.just poor husbandry?I was fully prepared for my guy it was allot of research and Erie runs to get the temps and settup right then got the tort to me this is the most important timer for low stress and no temp humidity swings. And the most important is the temp and humidity of were they were bred and raised you mess this up after the stress of shipping sometimes boom they crash.this is mostly my opinion my.my star is from las Vegas very dry conditions and hot so I cloned that atmosphere and gained weight length and girth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tickle said:
For a hatchling the breeders say just papertowels or the fake carpet stuff.my guy likes to snug in the sandnunder one of my ceramin heaters. What would be a good option for them to snug into you guys no what I mean if you use just the paper and some crumbled up towels.I would like to here some of the pro's advice latly I have seen some die offs.just poor husbandry?I was fully prepared for my guy it was allot of research and Erie runs to get the temps and settup right then got the tort to me this is the most important timer for low stress and no temp humidity swings. And the most important is the temp and humidity of were they were bred and raised you mess this up after the stress of shipping sometimes boom they crash.this is mostly my opinion my.my star is from las Vegas very dry conditions and hot so I cloned that atmosphere and gained weight length and girth.

I'll sure be glad when you get a computer and can quit posting from your IPhone!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.