Substrate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Like I have posted, I am wanting to build a tortoise table soon for my little guys. However, I currently use dirt as their substrate but not too thrilled with it because it makes everything really dirty along with the tortoises. I have seen people using hay and/or sand and I was wondering, what do you use or advise? I think they hay looks cleaner than dirt but I'm afraid they wont be able to dig properly. But I have also heard not to use straight sand as a substrate.

Any thoughts?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
I use coco coir and I love it. Sand is not good because they can eat it an become impacted. The only downside to the coco coir is when they come out of their water dish from soaking the coir sticks to them. Good luck!

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
I use coco coir and I love it. Sand is not good because they can eat it an become impacted. The only downside to the coco coir is when they come out of their water dish from soaking the coir sticks to them. Good luck!

My only concern is that I used repta bark a while back and the little pieces got into their eyes because of digging, and they had a hard time with it. Do you have a sulcata? I'm trying to find a substrate for them that I like and they like. The dirt is great it just makes everything look dirty and one of mine love digging so it gets everywhere. I've used alfalfa pellets but they would pee in it and it would smell no matter how hard I tried to pick up the pellets where they went to the bathroom.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
No I have 5 CDT yearlings! It does not seem to bother mine and after a few minutes it dries and falls off. They love to dig into it and get all covered up, plus it's nice and warm under the light! What if you mix it with cypress mulch or some of the top soil?

doubletorts

5 Year Member
That's what I was thinking, because I would really like to get them something other than just dirt and one is a HUGE fan of digging (looking forward to the many 6ft holes in my back yard lol). How long do you usually keep the substrate in before you change it? I ask cause I've never used it or known anyone around me that has.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Go to Lowes and mix 70/30 Organic soil and Sphagnum moss... to big bags for $8 my RTs love burrowing in it and it holds moisture pretty well

doubletorts

5 Year Member
gopherhockey03 said:
Go to Lowes and mix 70/30 Organic soil and Sphagnum moss... to big bags for $8 my RTs love burrowing in it and it holds moisture pretty well

Thanks, I will look into that too. I want to come up with the best thing and most comfortable for them.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I like mixing old leaf mulch with a soil mix a few inches deep, then layer cypress mulch on top.I have never seen the leaf mulch for sale I make my own, but if you have access to a wooded area you can get it there, just scrape the top layer off and gather up what looks to be a couple years old. ( i like it when it has the small light colored feeder roots in it) You may get some harmless bugs with it, so if you don't like bugs this method is not good for you.Though you can heat it in an oven to kill any living thing that may lurk in it. It does hold moisture very good and they can dig in it without any problems. Len

doubletorts

5 Year Member
??Len?? said:
I like mixing old leaf mulch with a soil mix a few inches deep, then layer cypress mulch on top.I have never seen the leaf mulch for sale I make my own, but if you have access to a wooded area you can get it there, just scrape the top layer off and gather up what looks to be a couple years old. ( i like it when it has the small light colored feeder roots in it) You may get some harmless bugs with it, so if you don't like bugs this method is not good for you.Though you can heat it in an oven to kill any living thing that may lurk in it. It does hold moisture very good and they can dig in it without any problems. Len

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't have access to anything like that, other than the cypress mulch that I can buy at the store. Can you get it at Petsmart or Petco?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I use zoomed cypres mulch. I buy the big bags by the box. Holds moisture very well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have 4 CDTs, 2 RFs and they all love DIRT....good ole fashion dirt....it holds moisture well and they can muck around in it....and I would remind that a dusty dirty tortoise is, well, a HAPPY tortoise...LOL...oh yeah, IMHO that is :D:D:D

mytwotortys

5 Year Member
doubletorts said:
Like I have posted, I am wanting to build a tortoise table soon for my little guys. However, I currently use dirt as their substrate but not too thrilled with it because it makes everything really dirty along with the tortoises. I have seen people using hay and/or sand and I was wondering, what do you use or advise? I think they hay looks cleaner than dirt but I'm afraid they wont be able to dig properly. But I have also heard not to use straight sand as a substrate.

Any thoughts?

Well, I use wood chips, and my two little babies love it! They can dig and bury themselves in it, without getting dirty, and it's really easy to clean out!

Stevie

5 Year Member
Anyone tried Herbifloor? Looking for something to use with top soil and don't fancy sand..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mytwotortys said:
Well, I use wood chips, and my two little babies love it! They can dig and bury themselves in it, without getting dirty, and it's really easy to clean out!

Hi mytwotortys: won't you please take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

doubletorts

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I have 4 CDTs, 2 RFs and they all love DIRT....good ole fashion dirt....it holds moisture well and they can muck around in it....and I would remind that a dusty dirty tortoise is, well, a HAPPY tortoise...LOL...oh yeah, IMHO that is :D:D:D

:) so far they dont seem to mind, but I was just wondering what other things people may use.

[/quote]

I used the wood chips and it got into their eyes so I got rid of it and went to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.