Family bought Victor the 'common' tortoise 14 years ago only to discover he was a sulcata

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, since its in the UK, they probably thought they were getting a common Greek tortoise. I wonder what they've been doing during the cold winter months.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I looked at the new owner's website, he has some gorgeous rescue; looks like Victor will be well loved!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you have an animal for 14 years and have no idea what it is?

There is no such thing as a "common tortoise", so I find it hard to give these people a pass...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
You never go online to check what kind of tortoise you have? This is odd for this age...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You never go online to check what kind of tortoise you have? This is odd for this age...

I knew what species all of my animals were long before there was any such thing as "on line". How do you know how to care for it if you don't even know what it is?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I knew what species all of my animals were long before there was any such thing as "on line". How do you know how to care for it if you don't even know what it is?

sadly i think this animal was probably bought under the cloak of "all tortoise needs are the same" i'm currently at odd's with a friend over how he keeps his box turtle he to think's all turtle and tortoise care is "general" he won't even so much as take the time to look up the care of his boxxie p***** me off

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sadly, David, I've seen more than enough of this sort of thing. I do what I can to help correct it, but some people just don't want the "help". Unfortunately their animals are the ones who suffer for their intentional ignorance.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I know several tortoises are called 'Spur thigh' in the UK, so I could see the mix up at an ignorant Pet store.
However, one would think that after it outgrew the largest Greek tortoise, the owner would look into it and say, 'Hmmmmm'....

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some people! He looks like they took care of him . He's not like my rescue I got from Kelly . Don't get me wrong Kelly saved the sulcata he gave me . But when Kelly got him his shell was cracked . So it could be all sickly with a pyramiding shell but it's not . The people who had Harry before me and Kelly didn't do nothing but bad for him apparently . They did find him a good home . So the story ends well .

M

Maggie Cummings

Some people! He looks like they took care of him . He's not like my rescue I got from Kelly . Don't get me wrong Kelly saved the sulcata he gave me . But when Kelly got him his shell was cracked . So it could be all sickly with a pyramiding shell but it's not . The people who had Harry before me and Kelly didn't do nothing but bad for him apparently . They did find him a good home . So the story ends well .
I don't agree about the care. He looks like what we get in Oregon, moldy. That looks like black mold on his carapace, and those 'flares' above his head should not be there at all. Bob has those too, I like them, but they are not normal. He has a big shell, but his body is skinny, and if that shell was just dirty his skin wouldn't look so clean. yeah, I know, I am too critical. But I call'em like I see'em. I enjoyed the story however.
I personally think that captive raised Sulcata have looked so bad in the past, pyramided, MBD etc. that a new keeper doesn't realize that they are supposed to be smooth and round. Sad...