Failing to thrive

TortorellaMom

We got our Tortoise April 1 2017. When we first got him, he was full of energy. Always on the go. Would walk outside, eat at his leisure, active in his cage. Over the next several months, his activity have drastically decreased to where it is now. Next to nothing. We put him outside, he won't walk much. He might eat a clover or two. His food dish is hardly empty. I occasionally see stool in his water dish. He peed on my son last week. We soak him at least every day, or every other day, but he always has water dish in his cage. We feed him dandelion greens, clover, hibiscus flowers and leaves, grape leaves, grass, even mazuri pellots which he won't eat. He has CHE and MVB in his cage and it is misted twice daily.

What is this carrot juice soak that I've heard of. What brand do you use, for how long? Any other suggestions?

Not looking for judgement or criticisms. Just helpful advice. Thank you.

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
What type of tort is it? How old is this baby? Anyway you can show pics of it. The bottom of the shell, top of shell and face may help the professional tort owners I'd what is troubling it.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
The carrot juice soak is actually carrot baby food soak, mix carrot baby food in his soaking water and soak as usual or longer. At least thats what i was told and how i do.
What are the temps/humidity of his cage on all sides and basking?
Have you had him tested for parasites?

SteveW

I can't help with the juice soak, but others can address. What are the temps in the enclosure? A MVB and a CHE can get really hot without enough space and a thermostat. Your diet and hydration sound good to me. Any chance he found something funky in the yard?

Best of luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For us to gain some insight, what was the source of this baby and how was it started.

Other than offering ideal conditions and doing some baby food soaks, all you can do is hope.

I just want people to realize that it doesn't matter how perfectly you care for a baby, if the breeder or seller kept it too dry for too long. People sometimes feel like they did something wrong or they failed, and they should not feel that way in so many cases. The breeder should feel that way if they didn't keep the little hatchling hydrated.

TortorellaMom

So here are a couple that I have on my phone. I will take more tonight after work. I know one shows our lab in the pic...no worries, we never let them mix. I had a hold of torts the whole time. So, we got our Torts from a reptile pet store. Where he was prior to that, who knows. We do have a thermostat on warm and cool side. Warm temps are between 85-95 at all times, cool side is 75-80. We have 12 hours of light/heat and 12 hours of just heat. He goes outside to just a small enclosure (bascially a 2ft square space that is enclosed on all sides except the bottom) for about an hour or two a day depending on weather.

About a month or so ago, Torts was soaking in his tub. My hubby and I left him unattended briefly, and during that time one of my cats got him out of the container and he fell onto the couch. He crawled to safety and we found him. Upon examination, he did not have any trauma or obvious signs of injury. Also, he was having these symptoms before this event. So, I don't think this is to blame. And obviously now, we never leave him unattended. (Lesson learned....please no judgement)

torts.jpg torts2.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So here are a couple that I have on my phone. I will take more tonight after work. I know one shows our lab in the pic...no worries, we never let them mix. I had a hold of torts the whole time. So, we got our Torts from a reptile pet store. Where he was prior to that, who knows. We do have a thermostat on warm and cool side. Warm temps are between 85-95 at all times, cool side is 75-80. We have 12 hours of light/heat and 12 hours of just heat. He goes outside to just a small enclosure (bascially a 2ft square space that is enclosed on all sides except the bottom) for about an hour or two a day depending on weather.

About a month or so ago, Torts was soaking in his tub. My hubby and I left him unattended briefly, and during that time one of my cats got him out of the container and he fell onto the couch. He crawled to safety and we found him. Upon examination, he did not have any trauma or obvious signs of injury. Also, he was having these symptoms before this event. So, I don't think this is to blame. And obviously now, we never leave him unattended. (Lesson learned....please no judgement)

Don't worry. We are not here to judge anyone.

I would keep the low in the enclosure at 80 or higher day and night. But this isn't your issue.

Have you read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
It might explain what is going on with your baby.

By contrast, here is how it should be done:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Bee62

Germany
Are there news about your tort baby ?
Can you show us some new pictures of him ? How are his eyes looking ?

TortorellaMom

Here are the most up to date pics of my little guy. He has a vet appt
Tomorrow evening.

Attachments

• IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3974.JPG
    IMG_3974.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3975.JPG
    IMG_3975.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3976.JPG
    IMG_3976.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3979.JPG
    IMG_3979.JPG
    948.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3980.JPG
    IMG_3980.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3981.JPG
    IMG_3981.JPG
    973.1 KB · Views: 43

TortorellaMom

We got him back in beginning of April. At that point we think he was just a month or less old.

Bee62

Germany
So he is 6 months old now ?
How much does he weight ?
Do you keep him humid and warm ? How are the temps and the humidity ?

TortorellaMom

Our sweet little guy passed away on Sunday. Thank you for the help and the support. We were hoping to have many, many years with the little fellow, but it was not meant to be. I wish all of you well.

Bee62

Germany
Oh, so sorry to hear that he passed away.
I am so sorry for your loss.
But it was not your fault. If you want, try again and buy a baby from a breeder that starts his babies in warm humid conditions.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I'm sorry for your loss! Don't let this discourage you from owning another tortoise. I would get one from a breeder who starts them right. Like @Tom said