Tort's poop ( warning poop pics )

ISU

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
I brought a leopard 2 months ago and went to a vet several times.

When i first met a vet, protozoa and worm were found in her poop and removed completely.

For the next 20 days( ~Mar. 23) , she had a clean, high-brown bowel that didn't smell. Since then, she got yellow-mixed poop again.

I went back to the vet and received 7 days worth of antibiotics. He didn't tell me the type of antibiotics, and I thought I couldn't trust him.

Apr. 2, I met 2nd vet and he gave me Triethoprim sulfadiazine and Metronidazole and he said she has a weak digestion. Is it related to poop like this?

Apr. 9 I fed her almost all the medicine I got from the vet. She had a clean poop until yesterday.

But today, I saw the yellow part again on her poop. It smelled a little fishy, but not too much.

It's not that she doesn't eat. She always wake up at the same time and eat a moderate amount of veges.

I soak her in warm water every morning for about 20 mins and maintain proper temperature and humidity of the enclosure.

I use T5 UVB Lamp and feed her calcium and vitamins little by little twice a week.

I give her chicory, zucchini pumpkin, oak leaf, sedum, bok choy, etc, and sprinkle Timothy powder on the veges.

Is this poop normal? Has anyone had a similar experience with me?

I really don't know what the problem is. I clean the enclosure, wash the food and water bowls every day, and disinfect them in the sun.

Please refer to the picture. It's a change in poop from Mar. 26th to today
20200326_072752.jpg

This is a picture of the past. I added some pots a few days ago. Don't be angry!

20200326_070718.jpg20200327_161745.jpg20200331_154739.jpg20200405_175431.jpg20200408_072647.jpg20200410_073718.jpg20200411_072120.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its important to administer all of the treatments that the vet recommended.
Stopping it prematurely or giving a smaller dose might not kill all of the parasites and can potentially even make them stronger and harder to kill
I've never used Metronidazole for a tortoise. And I'm confused as to why you are using both an antibiotic and an anti parasite medication.
(Unless I misread your post)

Relic

Here
I know in humans an oral antibiotic can wreak havoc with the good bacteria in your gut and produce, well...less than ideal fecal outcomes...

ISU

South Korea
Its important to administer all of the treatments that the vet recommended.
Stopping it prematurely or giving a smaller dose might not kill all of the parasites and can potentially even make them stronger and harder to kill
I've never used Metronidazole for a tortoise. And I'm confused as to why you are using both an antibiotic and an anti parasite medication.
(Unless I misread your post)

Bacillus and germs were found in her poop. What's clear is that when she's taking the medicine, she gets a good poop, and when she's done taking the medicine, she gets a weird it.

There is one medicine left that need to take 15 days after the date of initial use.I will feed it to her on Apr. 16. Have you ever seen the poop in the pics I uploaded?

ISU

South Korea
I know in humans an oral antibiotic can wreak havoc with the good bacteria in your gut and produce, well...less than ideal fecal outcomes...
I'm really frustrated because I don't know how to solve this problem. I really want her to be happy and healthy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most antibiotics kill a lot of the beneficial bacteria in the gut. (The ones that help in digestion)
Its normal for a tortoise that was recently treated to not eat as much....Or at all just after treatment

Reactions: ISU

jeneliza

burton michigan
Do you feed her the same thing every day? Or anything the same everyday? She may have a issue with something in her diet, as well, mine can't eat eggs, she's a redfoot and this is a normal food to give, but mine has issues with it and gets slimy wet poop, that's a weird brownish green color everything I tried egg, but she can eat cooked chicken, but not raw worms, does the same thing, her vet said that just like us, they also can have issues with some foods, just because it's safe and good for them as a breed, doesn't mean that there won't be some of them that can have food issues with some foods, like any animal, or person, just a thought, or something to think about, may be or not what is causing the weird poop, I am no expert or going by a personal experience,

Dabby

Albuquerque NM
I am new to raising a tortoise, so I don’t know their GI issues - I’m still working on anatomy. ?
It is interesting that your tort is responding to the metronidazole. In humans, it’s primarily used as an anti-microbial, but it is also used for issues in the lower GI tract, like colitis or diverticulitis. In dogs, it is one of the primary acute treatments used for colitis. It just makes me wonder if there’s perhaps the metronidazole is having the calming effect on the lower GI tract as is seen in dogs and humans... just a thought. If that’s the case and the doc can’t figure it out, I would try to figure out the trigger. As someone above said, even if a food is generally good for tortoises, it may not work for a specific tortoise.
i hope you are able to figure out what is.❤️

ISU

South Korea
Most antibiotics kill a lot of the beneficial bacteria in the gut. (The ones that help in digestion)
Its normal for a tortoise that was recently treated to not eat as much....Or at all just after treatment
She eats well. So I really don't understand.The stench in the poop has been very bad since she was first brought in 2 months ago.

ISU

South Korea
Do you feed her the same thing every day? Or anything the same everyday? She may have a issue with something in her diet, as well, mine can't eat eggs, she's a redfoot and this is a normal food to give, but mine has issues with it and gets slimy wet poop, that's a weird brownish green color everything I tried egg, but she can eat cooked chicken, but not raw worms, does the same thing, her vet said that just like us, they also can have issues with some foods, just because it's safe and good for them as a breed, doesn't mean that there won't be some of them that can have food issues with some foods, like any animal, or person, just a thought, or something to think about, may be or not what is causing the weird poop, I am no expert or going by a personal experience,
It's a little different every day. I break the mazuri ls twice a week and feed it together. I don't even give cold veges.

I raised a Hermman tort a year ago. At that time, I never experienced this kind of thing. It's really hard and hard.

ISU

South Korea
I am new to raising a tortoise, so I don’t know their GI issues - I’m still working on anatomy. ?
It is interesting that your tort is responding to the metronidazole. In humans, it’s primarily used as an anti-microbial, but it is also used for issues in the lower GI tract, like colitis or diverticulitis. In dogs, it is one of the primary acute treatments used for colitis. It just makes me wonder if there’s perhaps the metronidazole is having the calming effect on the lower GI tract as is seen in dogs and humans... just a thought. If that’s the case and the doc can’t figure it out, I would try to figure out the trigger. As someone above said, even if a food is generally good for tortoises, it may not work for a specific tortoise.
i hope you are able to figure out what is.❤
Thank you very much for your kind reply. I hope this problem is resolved asap :(

jeneliza

burton michigan
Now knowing what one of these meds does, it's probably the same one mine was given when she had this issue, and it was to settle down her go tract till the upset passed, I think she still may have the issue, and she probably should go back to the vet I bet the metozline, was helping her with the gi tract, but the issue is still there, and now that you have stopped this med , she's now have the symptom of the original problem, if she checks out clear of parasites, maybe it's a food sensitivity, but it honestly sounds like she's still not over the original issues yet, this sometimes happens, even with people, it's worth a call to the vet

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Your concern for your tort is wonderful. Because of their unique physiology they do not react to drugs the same way as a mammal and thus, great care needs to be given with regard to which drugs are used and the dosing of those drugs. It's imperative that if the feces are of concern, that someone who is well-versed in examining a tort's feces be involved. Torts normally have protozoa in their feces--they are necessary for the health of the tort. There are however, certain protozoa that can be harmful. Thus, you need someone who is able to distinguish this and who has expertise with treating torts.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
"Weak digestion" is a good description for an on-going imbalance of gut flora.

Is this a Leopard tort? If so, the diet is wrong. African tortoises eat primarily grasses. Sugary foods, like squash, will absolutely predispose the digestive organs to maintain an improper bacterial culture.

See here:

(SMZ-TMP and metronidazole are both, technically, antibiotics since they treat against one-celled organisms. They are also both used in cases of chronic digestive issues. For example: chronic giardia may be an issue in places where the spores are present in ground water and on vegetation. Use clean water only and rinse vegetation thoroughly before feeding. Metronidazole may be used in chronic/periodic giardiasis.)

Last edited:

ISU

South Korea
Now knowing what one of these meds does, it's probably the same one mine was given when she had this issue, and it was to settle down her go tract till the upset passed, I think she still may have the issue, and she probably should go back to the vet I bet the metozline, was helping her with the gi tract, but the issue is still there, and now that you have stopped this med , she's now have the symptom of the original problem, if she checks out clear of parasites, maybe it's a food sensitivity, but it honestly sounds like she's still not over the original issues yet, this sometimes happens, even with people, it's worth a call to the vet
I'm going to give her another medi on Apr 17. I bought probiotics and enzymes for reptiles today. I hope it helps.
Her poop was good when i use medi of steroid given by the vet.

ISU

South Korea
Your concern for your tort is wonderful. Because of their unique physiology they do not react to drugs the same way as a mammal and thus, great care needs to be given with regard to which drugs are used and the dosing of those drugs. It's imperative that if the feces are of concern, that someone who is well-versed in examining a tort's feces be involved. Torts normally have protozoa in their feces--they are necessary for the health of the tort. There are however, certain protozoa that can be harmful. Thus, you need someone who is able to distinguish this and who has expertise with treating torts.
Thanks for your reply. I thought the 2nd vet was good.

There is still some medicine left for her to take on Apr 17. I need to feed her this and see what's going on.

ISU

South Korea
"Weak digestion" is a good description for an on-going imbalance of gut flora.

Is this a Leopard tort? If so, the diet is wrong. African tortoises eat primarily grasses. Sugary foods, like squash, will absolutely predispose the digestive organs to maintain an improper bacterial culture.

See here:

(SMZ-TMP and metronidazole are both, technically, antibiotics since they treat against one-celled organisms. They are also both used in cases of chronic digestive issues. For example: chronic giardia may be an issue in places where the spores are present in ground water and on vegetation. Use clean water only and rinse vegetation thoroughly before feeding. Metronidazole may be used in chronic/periodic giardiasis.)
So I give her Timothy with the veges

I've tried many different ways, but she never eats mazuri ls.

I'm trying to get more variety of veges,and I often wash it for clean water and dishes.

There is still one medi left to feed her. I'm going to feed it later and see what's going.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
So I give her Timothy with the veges

I've tried many different ways, but she never eats mazuri ls.

I'm trying to get more variety of veges,and I often wash it for clean water and dishes.

There is still one medi left to feed her. I'm going to feed it later and see what's going.

You have to persist with the grasses...tortoises are very slow to accept new foods, but a correction of diet may yield great results. If her nutrition is lacking, her immune system will not be able to manage her gut flora effectively. A perfectly healthy individual is able to fight off overgrowth of protozoans; the fact that the symptoms come back is an indicator that something is preventing her from returning to balance.

Make sure her heat and humidity are optimal. If she is better with a steroid dose, again: her immune system is not working properly.

Chop and mix all foods thoroughly so she cannot pick and choose.

Soak the mazuri pellets in water so that they are very soft. Sprinkle with edible flower petals (dried or fresh) to encourage interest. I am afraid that the zucchini and low-fiber foods are complicating things too much, and preventing her from experimenting with foods she is meant to eat.

When you find stool in the enclosure, be sure to dig around and under it to remove all viable spores from the bedding.

ISU

South Korea
Is the grass you're talking about literally grass? I live in an apartment in South Korea.I can't afford to have a garden where I live.

I checked the veges for the African tortoise at this forum, and I went out and looked for them, but I can't find most of them here because the environment is different from that of the West. I'm still looking for them.

The temp and humidity inside Enlousre is following Tom's advice well.

Yes, When I find her poop, I remove the substrates around it, too. Thank you.

I got information from Korean forums not too long ago and most of the people there maintain a similar environment with me.

And now, got a lot of information about uvb lamp, temp and humidity and changed it at this forum.

I want to get good information from here and grow her into a healthy tort.

You have to persist with the grasses...tortoises are very slow to accept new foods, but a correction of diet may yield great results. If her nutrition is lacking, her immune system will not be able to manage her gut flora effectively. A perfectly healthy individual is able to fight off overgrowth of protozoans; the fact that the symptoms come back is an indicator that something is preventing her from returning to balance.

Make sure her heat and humidity are optimal. If she is better with a steroid dose, again: her immune system is not working properly.

Chop and mix all foods thoroughly so she cannot pick and choose.

Soak the mazuri pellets in water so that they are very soft. Sprinkle with edible flower petals (dried or fresh) to encourage interest. I am afraid that the zucchini and low-fiber foods are complicating things too much, and preventing her from experimenting with foods she is meant to eat.

When you find stool in the enclosure, be sure to dig around and under it to remove all viable spores from the bedding.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I'm going to give her another medi on Apr 17. I bought probiotics and enzymes for reptiles today. I hope it helps.
Her poop was good when i use medi of steroid given by the vet.
I hope she is ok, and is doing better, I must say your a great owner most don't check this, and miss it till is , really bad,

• Love