Eyesight Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
Do Russians normally have bad eyes? Betty seems to have a hard time seeing. She responds very well to being called to come and knows to go to her feeding area during feeding time. However, when I want to give her a snack she doesn't come get it. She will walk over towards me and wont attempt to eat until I put the food up to her nose. She often misses when she goes to eat the food. My marginated seems to take the food more accurately and will run to the food if I just put it in without giving it to him.
I know she has shell and beak deformities but could her bad condition have caused her sight loss? I also think there is a possibility it might be a spoiled issue and she just wants to be hand fed and knows I will do it.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
It could be a combination of both. Some mineral deficiencies (calcium and different vitamins) can cause bad coordination, in which case a tort might bite at the air.
One of my torts is an old old man with cataracts, and he bites at the air until he happens upon some food (which was in front of him all along). He loves eating out of my hand, partly because it's probably easier for him.

You mentioned shell and beak deformities, so your tort probably was deficient in something at some point. Sometimes, with good care, the motor problems can diminish. :) Only time will tell.

Kerryann said:
Do Russians normally have bad eyes? Betty seems to have a hard time seeing. She responds very well to being called to come and knows to go to her feeding area during feeding time. However, when I want to give her a snack she doesn't come get it. She will walk over towards me and wont attempt to eat until I put the food up to her nose. She often misses when she goes to eat the food. My marginated seems to take the food more accurately and will run to the food if I just put it in without giving it to him.
I know she has shell and beak deformities but could her bad condition have caused her sight loss? I also think there is a possibility it might be a spoiled issue and she just wants to be hand fed and knows I will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.