Is my tortoise blind?

Bird7

Recently my 3 year old Russian tortoise has been walking into things and when I give her a bowl of food she misses the food and tends to try and eat the air? One of her eyes looks a little closed over than the other but no gunge or pus

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nicole:

If one eye is closed then the binocular vision might be a bit impaired making it hard for the tortoise to focus. Can we see your habitat? And please let us know the answer to Crimson_lotus' question.

Bird7

I use a UVB light of a day time and night time I use a heat lamp

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Some types of bulbs can damage tortoises eyes, so we want to make sure you don't have one of them

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I use a UVB light of a day time and night time I use a heat lamp

From this pic the coil bulb is being used....so besides the potential for damage from the actual bulb...there is no fixture directing the light to the enclosure floor...it is kinda being lost into the surrounding area....if it were me I would use a different uvb bulb (either a long tube uvb or a mercury vapor bulb) but in a lighting fixture like this (be sure the socket is the ceramic type and not plastic--if decided to use mercury vapor bulb)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODA1WDEwMDA=/z/l78AAOSwbqpTsSfD/$_58.JPG

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Sometimes it can be substrate dust. also noticed once when it seemed to be psychological like it was fear- a strange phenomenon but that doesn't seem to be the case with your tort. they definitely seem to have what I call side trackable tunnel vision at times..
Thanks for the help! I will leave off the UVB light until I buy a new, correct, light