Eye Irritation

Asafreeman13

My male Russian tortoise keeps rubbing his eye with his claw and moves his head in like he has stress because of it. His substrate is coco coir and zoo med wood chips, and he has a good tempature in his tank. I took him to the vet a few days ago but for different reasons. Do any of you know what's going on? Is the substrate getting in his eyes? Should I change it to something else? Take him back to the vet? Please let me know what I should do. Thank you!

BILBO-03

Do you have any pictures? He's probably being kept too dry have you tried soaking him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need more info. Even though you say temps are right, what are they? Humidity? Kind of bulbs you are using for heat and UVB? Any of those bulbs the coil/CFL type? If so stop using them. How often do you soak?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The light might be irritating his eyes. There might be something in his eye (substrate, sand, sliver). He might be allergic to something in the habitat.

We have no way of knowing. You have to be the detective. Start with the light.

Asafreeman13

I think the reason my male Russian tortoise has been moving his head in with stress and blinking rapidly and scratching his eye is because of him lights. They are a red UVB light and a regular UVB light. He scrunches up his eyes when it's on. What should I do? He needs light? Maybe take out the red light? Do I need new lights? If so tell me excactly what kind in the comments below. Thanks

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I don't think the Red light is a UVB and yes it's not good for them. Post a picture of the other UVB bulb and we can tell you if it's a good bulb too.

Yes you need lights.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is the red light 250 watts? That's much too hot for a small indoor habitat. Is the UVB light one of those curly -shaped UVB bulbs? they have been known to harm tortoise eyes.

We need more information or pictures of the lights.