Russian tortoise sneezing!

Turtleneck123

So I recently switched tomas' substrate from 50/50 of topsoil and playsand to coconut coir and I noticed that he has been sneezing a couple times and the coir got in his eyes and he started rubbing them. He has no bubbles or watery eyes. His appetite is great and he is very active. Is the coconut coir causing the irritation ? (Btw: he has a basking lamp, a uvb with correct temps, and I keep the coconut coir moist)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
So I recently switched tomas' substrate from 50/50 of topsoil and playsand to coconut coir and I noticed that he has been sneezing a couple times and the coir got in his eyes and he started rubbing them. He has no bubbles or watery eyes. His appetite is great and he is very active. Is the coconut coir causing the irritation ? (Btw: he has a basking lamp, a uvb with correct temps, and I keep the coconut coir moist)
Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure.

Have you read the "Beginners Mistakes"Thread? If not, please do so.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I like putting the coarse coco over the fine stuff for this reason.

Turtleneck123

[
Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure.

Have you read the "Beginners Mistakes"Thread? If not, please do so.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.
thank you! How do I post a picture ? Also can you link the beginners mistake thread I can't find it :(

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh so your tort went through the same thing? Is it ok if I put Timothy hay in the meantime?Thank you so much for your response!
No, it will mold. I would wet the coco down and pat it down a bit with your palm. That will keep it from sticking as much.

My tort never had an issue as I started this way. But I have boxies that dig and they get covered in it. They seem to get used to it actually.

Turtleneck123

No, it will mold. I would wet the coco down and pat it down a bit with your palm. That will keep it from sticking as much.

My tort never had an issue as I started this way. But I have boxies that dig and they get covered in it. They seem to get used to it actually.
Thank you for your help!