Bubbles in eye

becky193

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I've recently bought a one year old horsfield tortoise. Today I noticed one eye had bubbles in it while he was in his table, they disappeared not long after but returned for a little bit after his outdoor time and soak (being soaked daily). His eye also seems a little bit swollen. He is eating well and his substrate is Coco coir. I'm using a arcadia d3 combination bulb.

Has anyone got any ideas what this could be/anything I need to do differently and if I should get him to the vets?

Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi there Becky

Could you take close up pictures of your torts eyes, ideally with the bubbles, please?

Photos of your enclosure and and lighting will also help us to see if there's anything in his environment that might be the cause.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Bubbles in the eyes usually means too hot and too dry.

becky193

Thanks for your responses. I will try and get a picture later if it is still happening. I did notice yesterday night that his substrate had got quite dry underneath the surface, so I mixed some water into it and will make sure to keep on top of that. Could that have been the problem? His basking temp is 96F and the cooler side is 73F.