eye infection

Shellshocked384

My nine month old Hermann tortoise will not open her eyes and I'm getting worried she is still eating and exercising but she simply won't open her eyes I've brought her to the vet and he said that he will look after her for a week and try to get her eyes open a week later I collected her from the vet and he said he got her eyes open but they kept seizing up at night

Any advice or information on this topic would be appreciated

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Are the eyes swollen or simply closed? If they are swollen and there is redness and discharge, this may be an eye infection which antibiotic drops could cure. If just swollen, that ends to be sign of the start of illness - perhaps a respiratory infection, and oral meds may be required.

The eyes could also be irritated by an inappropriate substrate or too dusty of one - what are you using?

Another cause for not wanting to open the eyes and or eye damage can be the use of a coil uvb bulb. These will damage a tortoises eyes and if you have one stop using it right away!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of diet do you offer the tortoise? What is the substrate that you are using? What type of UVRay source are you using? How often do you soak the tortoise/or does the tortoise drink from the water sources?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lights or substrate. We need to know what you're using.

Soaking the tortoise frequently gets the eyes open, but we need to know why this is happening.