Extremely active Male?

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
My male three toed box turtle seems to be more actove today then he has been.

My temperatures on the warm side are 27.2c 81f basking is 34c 93f, cool side is 24c 75f in side the hid on the cool sode ots 22c 71.5f

Humidity is 90 on cool side 70 on warm side.

Substrate is 3-4" deep pending on how my box turtle has pushed it around.

He is roughly 15 years old i have had him over 2 weeks.

He for the most of the 2 weeks been the type to come out in the morning eat maybe make a trip to the water dish for a bit then hide on the warm side hide. Mid day when its quite.

He eats turtle pellets (contains dryed meal worms, dried cranberries), with spring mix, brocolli, celery leafs, and other things i cant remember right now)

I feed him worms on Thursday found about 10 of different sizes assumed he would eat a few and the rest would live in the substrate he managed to eat all of them. After that he was more active he would come out during the day even when the mods where home and making noise. But only for a bit then would go hide.

Today he has been non stop climing his rocks up to the basking spot then down into the dish, trying to climb the back of the enclosure where there is a picture of a jungle ish scene.

It really resembles that of a gravid female (I fostered a RES that needed to lay eggs but the owners asked for my help) I am 90% sure i have a male.

His enclosure small (3ft by 2ft) it is the same enclosure the previous owner had him in for years until and only temporary until i build his out door enclosure but in ontario we are currently having an ICE storm so i havent been able to build him an out door enclosure.

I will be adding pictures in a bit to help show why i think he is male.

Any thoughts on why he would be going nuts now? Is it just the small enclosure? I know he wasnt cared for the best previously now does he just have the strength and energry to move where as before he didn't?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Eyes, hind feet, tail, and plastron

Anything else i need a picture of? Or do we agree male?20180415_173306.jpg20180415_173335.jpg20180415_173513.jpg20180415_173653.jpg1523828344019.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe he wants to be outside looking for a receptive young female. ??? If he's 15 and you've only had him 2 weeks, my guess is he's used to living outside and is not happy confined to a small aquarium.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
He is back to normal today, but by nuts im talking back and forth for, up and down, plus clawing at the back picture for around 4-5 hours, he didn't clam down until after i soaked him.

It truly reminded me of how gravid females act when its time to lay eggs

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Maybe he wants to be outside looking for a receptive young female. ???
Its possible, it was just am extremely pff burst of energy for lack of a better term.

Our ice/stown storm was bad enough schools where canceled today so looks like an other week maybe 2 before i can start to build enclosures outside so 2 or 3 weeks before he can use it.