Extra friendly tort?

Tort1419

I just want to share some strange behavior with my tortoise. He is a Russian tortoise, between 6 months and a 1 year old. Captive bred. First day I had him he was very scared, he would always go inside his shell when my hand would be a foot away. I have had him for about a week and a half. Five days after I got him, he took food from my hand, and he also let's me pet his neck. Now I can put my hand right in front of his face and he doesn't care. I have heard stories of tortoises taking months to adapt. It seems like mine is doing just fine. IM SO HAPPY. Has anyone else experienced a tort like this before?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
That seems about normal to me. That's how mine did as well. You keep working with him. I ain't familiar with Russians but I know the larger Sulcata I had was shy at first but after working with them day in day out they would follow me around like puppy's. Their new owner has even emailed saying they are following him around. Mine was nosy, all up in whatever ya doing, wanted to know what ya was doing. Lol.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
My redfoot baby is very inquisitive and unafraid. He always investigates when I reach into his enclosure, he'll climb into my palm if I place it flat, and he follows me around if he's out. If nothing else, he knows I'm a food source!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds normal. That is one of the reasons why people like russians so much. They are pretty bold in most cases.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
how long it takes veroes on the tortoise days weeks or months Russians are considered very friendly once they readjust

TMartin510

Fremont, California
My Redfoot has adjusted now, I have her inside for the time being but she isn't scared of me at all anymore, Infact sometimes she'll pass out for the night outside of her hide lol as I feel that's some real trust building right there

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
All quite normal, though it's great your little one has come around so quickly.
Some do take much longer to adjust.