"Playing" with young tortoise to make it....friendly?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I definitely appreciate the concern, I've learned so much since joining, so thanks for all the great advice thus far. I'm glad there are people like you all willing to say something that probably makes most people bristle and take offense, and stomp off in a huff...lol.

I would be willing to bet just about anything that the tortoise is perfectly safe with the dog, but I think I'll just take your advice anyways and rig up his pen to be dog proof, for use when they are both roaming the yard unsupervised.

Do you think once the tortoise is larger than the dog, which should be in a few years from now, they'll be trustworthy together? Dog's head is practically the same size as the tortoise, and she's done growing. I've just put so much effort in to making the backyard a tortoise haven, where he finds plants to eat, different bushes that he's dug hidey holes, etc.

Again, thank you all for the concern and suggestions, and I don't want to come off as someone trying to argue or get away with something that you all say is a bad idea, and perhaps I am and just don't want to see it ...lol. I want the best of both worlds I guess....happy healthy tortoise, and harmonious existence with my little dog who shows the tortoise respect, when she pays it any attention at all. Have a great rest of the day!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
My dogs are inside family members and ridiculously well trained (we are foster parents as well as parents so I want to make sure they are bomb proof.) I was like you (still am to a certain degree) and positive our dogs will be fine with our tort. They have been trained to ignore him as well as our chickens (in 4 years we have never lost a chicken even though they are outside unattended together more often that not. Our chickens were raised inside and have no idea they are not dogs. It's absurd. )

After reading various stories on this forum though - my thoughts changed.

It is just not worth it. I would rather err on the side of extreme caution then be a statistic.

It's extremely obvious you adore this little bugger. Keep him safe. :<3:
gsd.jpg