Exploring the garden grass area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
:) Hi:

Will my Russian tort (7 months old) be stressed if I let him walk around the garden grass area? (I will not take my eyes off of him as I know he could get lost). Normally when I take him outside I put him in his outside portable enclosure (an under-the-bed plastic container with screened top).

My tort seems to be a little on the timid side so I don't want to stress him out, but I thought having him walk through the grass garden area would be good exercise and he might like to explore. Lately he is burrowing for too long a time and I feel he is not getting enough exercise. However, if a big open space might be stressful for him I will wait until he is older and not so timid.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have. I have learned so many things about the care of my little guy from this forum; it is a GREAT forum!!

Carol S - Mommy of Turtle Baby :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the forum compliment!! We think its great here too.

Russians aren't big grass eaters, preferring broad leaf plants and weeds. Also, baby tortoises are prey, and as such are very careful about being in the wide open spaces. It would be much better for him if you could cordon off an area for him and place a piece of lattice or something like that over the top for him to get exercise that way.

If you like doing it your way, I'm sure you would be able to spot if he were becoming stressed. But if he wanders about looking like he's enjoying himself, then that would be ok. But be very aware that they get out of sight quite quick, and you dare not take your eyes off him for more than a second or two.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Is the grass free of chemicals? That is what I would be scared of. If it's an apartment complex or similar, I would bet they use pesticides/fertilizers.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
My almost 4-month old Nelson loves exploring outside. He's very adventurous and when I lived at home and had a backyard he got a great deal of exercise.
Now that I live in an apartment I don't get to bring him outside :( He has been sleeping so much lately, I'm getting a little nervous! I didn't even see him wake up once today (although I did sleep until 11 am)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The only thing that worries me at all in this is the lack of security. Most lost tortoise stories start with 'I only took my eyes off it for a minute!"

Status
Not open for further replies.