Stu eats weird stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member

Hi everyone!

Whenever I take Stu, my Hermann's tortoise, outside in the garden for a walk around, he always sneaks off to eat dirt and bird poo - anything that's there really!! Why is this? Is it safe? I thought it could be dangerous - can he get parasites and horrible stuff from eating bad things? He just will not stop! I'm in the process of building him a run outside but I know that when he goes out there he'll be eating everything in sight.

I do feed him!

Carina and bad Stu
[/font]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My mother-in-law used to always say (when one of the kids was eating something other than a food item) that he/she was lacking something in their system. It was a good statement 50 years ago, and it still holds true today. I don't keep Hermann's tortoises, and have absolutely NO experience with them, however, you are not the first Hermann's owner to write about this problem here on the forum. I think that Robyn was right on in advising a mixture of minerals along with the calcium supplement. You can buy vitamins and minerals in the bird section of any pet store. Another good supplement is TNT from Carolinapetsupply.com.

Yvonne

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Great advice, thank you! I will look for some vitamins and minerals for him. I do put Arkvits on his food, recommended by the vet, which I thought would do the trick but he doesn't eat everything in his bowl - especially as he wees on it most of the time! I give him fresh stuff after that though. I will get some of the vits and mins and see how he goes with that. What is that tortoise food like? I've been told that it has lots of the stuff he needs in that so perhaps I could put some of that in his bowl along with the fresh lettuce etc that I give him? How long do you think it'll be before those vitamin and mineral levels go up and he stops trying to eat silly things?

I am a little worried about impaction as I haven't seen him poo every day. Last time I think it was a little soft. Either that or he just trod in it straight away and wiped it everywhere, which I think was the case! It is a little hard to tell where his poo is if he's done any cos I keep him on alfalfa which disguises the poo etc.

Also, he sleeps a lot during the day. He's active in the morning and if I get him out mostly though. Especially if he's outside. Do you think he's ok or is it time for a trip to the vet? He's due a visit around December/ January.

Thank you for all your help

Carina and still bad Stu

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
You can even use the liquid bird vitamins (the name will come to me!) and put it in his water, thats also good for him :) I think bird poop is definitely a no no, would hate to think what bugs and things go through them hehe. Definitely change the alfalfa though....a good substrate to keep humidity is a 60/40 mix of organic soil and playsand....my fave !!!

About him pooping - torts don't necessarily poop every single day, or more than once a day, some can go a couple days without you seeing a poop :p It's also normal for torts to sleep during the day, and be more active in the morning, as in the wild, daytime is obviously the hottest, and they tend to hide out then.
Sounds like your Stu is being a normal torty to me ! :D

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Ah great, thanks so much! :D

I will change his substrate to the soil sand mix. I'm getting him a new cage thing like a large guinea pig/ rabbit cage next week to turn into a tort table (the cage top is to keep our cat out!) so I shall use the soil sand mix in that for sure. Hope he likes it! Poor little thing, I've tried him on lots of diff substrate. He's a good torty! :D

The liquid sounds good, but Stu doesn't really drink. Not that I see anyway. I think he gets a lot of water from his food. He has a water dish in with him at all times anyway should he wish to drink.

Thanks so much! :D

I will def try the sand soil mix, sounds like a lot of people rate it on here and it's closer to what he'd have in the wild I guess. I will try him out on it! Do you spray it with water once in a while to keep it a little damp for the humidity? I'm getting a tort table for him next week so will the humidity be easy to keep up? I'm worried about him pyramiding...

The liquid sounds like a good idea but I never see Stu drink! I think he gets most water from his food. I guess he does anyway. He has access to water dish all the time if he wants it anyway...

He is a good torty! Bless his little spikey paws! ha :p

Stazz

5 Year Member
He sounds so cute :D

Yup, spraying it once or twice a day deffo keeps up the humidity. I dont need to at the moment as our apartment is SOOOO humid during the day and night, although I do still spray it just in case :p (we live in the desert, Dubai, Summer is hectic hot) i'm sure Stu will love the soil/sand mix, and its great for him to burrow/bury himself in if he likes!

I soak Tallula about 3 or 4 times a week, 20mins each time in warm water....its a great way to keep the baby hydrated, and more than likely they do drink when soaked. She actually likes to put her whole head under every now and then !!! Lol. A water dish is great to have at all times, also helps with humidity believe it or not :p
You can find a hydrometer to put on the floor of the enclosure, this measures humidity, so you can keep an eye on it whenever you like!

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Thanks Stace, that's great advice. I can't wait to get his new home sorted now! But I'll have to wait til next week :(

I live in South East England so the weather's hit and miss here. Just wondering what would happen in the winter when it's cold and Stu's in a tort table...?

Oh here he goes, walking by my feet. Love him! This is such a great site! Sorry, I'm a bit excited about it all at the mo! Just so good to be able to share things on here and chat about these beautiful funny little things with others who know!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Well if you keeping him indoors (especially Winter) you should definitely have a heat lamp and a UVB light for him. You can order a Mercury Vapour bulb which is a combined UVB and heat lamp, or you can have the two separately. UVB is pretty much a necessity to help them get D3 and help with calcium.A tortoise has to be able to warm up to at least 80 degrees in order to be able to digest his food properly as well You can find them at your local petstore. You put the light at one end of his tort table, so he has a hot side, warm in the middle and cool on the otherside. Does that make sense? I'm still half asleep this morning lol/

This is a great site huh, I just love it too! Im a TFO ADDICT ! Which benefits Tallula completely :)

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Stu mainly eats mixed salad leaves, carrot, nasturtium leaves (excuse spelling!) cucumber and tomato for treats, occasionally strawberries. I'm making him a run for outside so I'm growing a mix of wild flowers/plants for him to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.