Ever been bit by your tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
I was feeding my Russians today and realized he could have snapped at my finger. Has anyone been bit by their tort and did it hurt?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
*knocking on my wooden head* but so far I have been really lucky. I watch my fingers (and toes) real carefully. :D With the big sulcata boyz, I am more worried about unexpected butting. I have had some really close calls with both snapping turtles and sidenecks. I do recall my son, years back he was bringing in the trio of mud turtles and one bit down on him. Keep in mind, these guys were only like 3" in length. This turtle clamped down and would not let go for quite a few minutes. She did break the skin and my son said it was a pretty painful pinch.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, my female cake would never bite. snip the male well...he would get me if i let him. he doesnt want me around his lady.thats how he got his name. hes alittle snippy.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have been bitten and it really hurt, and my wife was bitten and blood was drawn. Of course this was a large Sulcata doing the biting and it was while I we were hand feeding.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Carl has bitten me once and it was an accident, he was going for the leaf... even for a little guy it was quite a pinch.

EKLC

5 Year Member
The Captain wants to taste my hand when I hold some cactus of zucchini for him. Usually I can just move the food for him, but he's got me a couple of times.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
My aldabra has tried to bite my fingers many times in the past so I tried once to let him bit it. It was quite painful for only 14 cm size.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My DT accidentally bit me when I was hand feeding him once day. It hurt!!!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
My animals will eat feces and can bite right through large carrots. I prefer not to be bitten.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'd imagine it could be quite painful if a larger tort got a hold of you.

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
Yes, while hand feeding him (a Mojave Desert tort that's 4 months old:tort: ). It hurt, and he didn't even break the skin! I have been much more careful, since, because as he ages I imagine he'll be equipped to cause quite a lot of damage!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Turtles yes, but no tortoise bites yet, though my CDT tries and eat my toes all of the time.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have been rammed but never bitten. At a 4H fair Sid (47 pound sulcata) was walking around at a reptile demonstration and almost bit a lady on the back that was sitting in the grass. She was wearing a green shirt and was a little lumpy, I think Sid thought she was cactus! Thank goodness they are so slow, i was able to get to him and turn him in the other direction and he slowly walked the other way.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Baoh said:
My animals will eat feces and can bite right through large carrots. I prefer not to be bitten.

Ewwwwwww!!! Good point!! :p

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Bitten twice. Once while hand feeding, the other while giving medicine. But when your little guy hasn't eaten in 3 days because God knows why (maybe he gets thrills out of making me worry), you sorta panic and hand-feed some tomato. Which he then goes crazy for and takes bites the size of his head. Which then end up drawing blood.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Bit on the throat when I swallowed and my neck moved lol it must have looked interesting, it was a little sore but got more of a fright than anything but he got a shock too haha

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Everyone says it hurts but compared to what? I for one like to compare all non-snake bites to the bite of a collord lizard. Now they have a good solid bite when healthy. Also the where bitten is important.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
my large Russian chomped on me once! didn't hurt really, just scared me! i make sure i feed him giant leaves as to distance my fingers from his mouth :D

2ro593t.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
laney said:
Bit on the throat when I swallowed and my neck moved lol it must have looked interesting, it was a little sore but got more of a fright than anything but he got a shock too haha

Vampire tort!!!!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I was hand feeding Tyrone chicken on and he bit down on my finger! It felt like a pair of locking vice grips got clamped on my finger and was sore for the rest of the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.