My baby BIT me today!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
My juvenile Redfoot bit me today and I think it hurt my EGO! Lol

I handle them 1-2 times a day for a soak, while I prep their food or tidy up their enclosure.

Well today after his feeding I decided to sit down with him for a few minutes and see if he'd settle in and relax on my lap for a brief period. He rotated in a circle under my cupped hand then BIT me!

I feel terrible like perhaps he was scared! My hands had been washed and didn't smell like food. And he had just eaten so he must've been scared. So my question is, do they bite out of fear? (I assume.)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No they do other things out of fear ( pee and poop come to mind) Bur I honestly don't think they bite out of fear.Maybe he was seeing how you taste? :)

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Delilah bit our 13 yr old daughters toe! We blamed it on her bright colored toe nails! Delilah was out eating! In our eyes sis should have been paying attention! She won't get that close with her toes looking like strawberries!! Rofl! ;)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Delilah bit our 13 yr old daughters toe! We blamed it on her bright colored toe nails! Delilah was out eating! In our eyes sis should have been paying attention! She won't get that close with her toes looking like strawberries!! Rofl! ;)
I've seen mine bite at tiny painted fingernails as well but I was thrown when he acted as if he was circling like a dog to settle down for a nap but instead chomped me! Lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Haha, sorry, it is a little funny. Maybe there was a ridge in your skin that just wasn't comfortable, so he was going to get it out of there so it would be comfortable:D
My Tatum, who I kiss all the time on the face, bit my lip once. Luckily he didn't get it really good. I assumed it was because I irritated him this time, as I don't just kiss him once. He has never done it again since. I won't irritate him that much again. Okay, yes I will, he's too kissable:D

Always watch the red, orange, even pink painted toes. He always checks them out, I just know better then to let him get too close.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Awe I'm sorry. I wish I knew more about your type of tort. Animals are funny, think about his behavior before you handled him, anything out of the ordinary? Usually if one of our animals (or children) are acting out of character we missed something. Not saying you did of course, just saying that's our experience. See if you can think of anything and maybe it will help. Good luck... Keep posting I would be curious to see if it was a one time thing or repetitive. ;)

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I tap on the clay saucer when there is food in it to get his attention, because he is usually hiding. He comes running, but with his mouth full-on open to bite me. I know not to get between a tort and his food.

yillt

Whenever I put m finger close to Billy he sort of strokes it with his head. If I've been outside he try's to nip me.

whisper

5 Year Member
SE FL
He's just hungry. There's a warning when entering our RF enclosure to not wear open toed shoes. There's always the possibility of someone attempting a taste. Painted toenails or not it doesn't matter. Definite high risk at feeding time!