Ethiopian Leopard torts... pics to come soon!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hibiscus tilliaceus is a species of floweringtree in the mallow family, Malvaceae, that is native to the Old Worldtropics.[3]Common names include sea hibiscus, beach hibiscus, coastal (or coast) hibiscus, coastal (or coast) cottonwood, green cottonwood, native hibiscus, native rosella, cottonwood hibiscus, kurrajong, sea rosemallow, Norfolk hibiscus, balibago (Tagalog), bhendi (Marathi), balibago (Tagalog), waru (Indonesian), hau (Hawaiian), purau (Tahitian), and vau tree. The specific epithet, "tilliaceus", refers to its resemblance to the related Tilia species.[4]
Cool, I would have never guessed that leaf shape was a Hibiscus. Thanks much.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Oh my, Katie. I had no idea this was happening. Congratulations! How old is she? And do you get to bring her home with you?

:) She is almost 2, and we get to bring her home after the second trip. During this first trip, we meet her and spend a few days with her, and formally adopt her in the Ethiopian court system. She gets our last name, and then they generate her new birth certificate (with us as the parents), and make her passport. Then the US Embassy has to process a few more immigration documents, and then they clear us for travel for the 2nd trip. We take custody of her then, and go to a few appointments with various important people, and then we get to come home together. :) Ha. That was probably more information than you wanted!

The short version for those averse to the TLDR factor: 1st trip now for court. 2nd trip 2-6 later, which we find out with as little as 4 days notice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, being a proud new mommy, I'm sure I don't have to remind you: PICTURES!!!!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
:) She is almost 2, and we get to bring her home after the second trip. During this first trip, we meet her and spend a few days with her, and formally adopt her in the Ethiopian court system. She gets our last name, and then they generate her new birth certificate (with us as the parents), and make her passport. Then the US Embassy has to process a few more immigration documents, and then they clear us for travel for the 2nd trip. We take custody of her then, and go to a few appointments with various important people, and then we get to come home together. :) Ha. That was probably more information than you wanted!

The short version for those averse to the TLDR factor: 1st trip now for court. 2nd trip 2-6 later, which we find out with as little as 4 days notice.

Congrats!! I just found this thread!!
You must be so anxious and happy!!
We must see pics when your ready to share!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
We are back in the US after an amazing time in Ethiopia. I saw 3 adult Ethiopian leopard torts, 1 small tortoise that I think was a hingeback (couldn't get a pic of that one, as it was gone by the time I got my camera out), and a pile of empty tortoise shells of various species. Working on processing the pics, and then will upload a bunch. The largest leopard was probably 150ish lbs. Huge! I very illegally leaned in and took a pic of my hand on a scute, to show the size.

Shall I post the pics here in this thread, or start a new one?

Oh, and as we traveled around, I also took notes on the plants I saw growing in the wild, in the fields, and in the ditches. I'll include those in my post.

As some of you know, the main purpose of our trip was to meet our daughter, and to go to court in Addis Ababa to adopt her. All went well in that respect, and now we just have to wait for the US Embassy to process her immigration paperwork... and then we get to fly back to Ethiopia to take custody and bring her home! Our daughter is the cutest little girl in the world. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats on all of this.

I'm of course very interested in the leopards and plants, but that really seems so unimportant compared to this amazing thing you are doing.

I vote for two separate new threads.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Thanks, Tom. I'll start a separate thread with pics and info on the leos. :)
Hmmm. What category do I post our cutie pie daughter in though? ;)

Congrats on all of this.

I'm of course very interested in the leopards and plants, but that really seems so unimportant compared to this amazing thing you are doing.

I vote for two separate new threads.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, Tom. I'll start a separate thread with pics and info on the leos. :)
Hmmm. What category do I post our cutie pie daughter in though? ;)

Off Topic Chit Chat, of course. Heartwarming story. I'm sure we'd all like to know more and share in the joy.