Ernie's Redone Enclosure [again!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
So I redid Ernie's enclosure again because I added some things, took other things out, and needed a way to keep humidity up on one side, and a way to keep my log hide from going moldy from moist substrate. I've been experimenting with a humid side/dry side and so far, so good! Ernie happily moves from one end to the other, in and out of his little tunnels =] He loves the addition of the new log hide, and climbs up and over it all day. I mixed the coir/sand on the dry side with some cypress mulch, and mist it lightly to keep it from being dusty. The humid side has strictly coir/sand mix, and is misted and water much more often to keep humid. I keep a lid on the humid side to help hold in moisture, and it has done a great job. Here are some pictures, let me know what you guys think.

tub1.jpg

tub2.jpg

dryside.jpg

humidsode.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think it's great! You've given him an interesting environment to live in, explore, and also call home. Very nice.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Beautiful Enclosure! I really like it, I am sure Ernie is really happy to live in it :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really like it! Very pretty, yet functional.

I tried the frog moss with my baby YF tortoises, and it just doesn't stay in place. I like how it sits still for you though. Really adds a nice, clean look.

I

Italianlnm

I love the enclosure! It is so pretty and entertaining for him.

I love the moss for holding humidity. And I like all of the other plants too.

Beautiful!

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Neat stuff. Love the enclosure. What are your tub dimensions? &what about Ernie? Sorry for being nosy,just want a better size comparison

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Thank you everyone =]

Yvonne - He does move the moss around sometimes, and I used to have it spread out all over the cage. That didn't work well because he dug everywhere and I would have to dig out the moss pieces. So I just centered it around his food and water area and it stays put pretty well =] I just kind of mash it together and down into the coir a bit. Keeps the dirt off his food plate too! My favorite part :p I did learn though that moss doesn't hold up well under lights [where I used to have them spread out], which is why some of the pieces look a bit brown. They still are alive though and hold moisture, but I will probably pick up some new pieces in a few weeks.

Abe - The tub is 3' by about 2', give or take a couple inches, and Ernie's SCL measures 4 1/2" [Glad you asked because I hadn't measured him in a while :)]

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You're right about the moss. I've learned that too. I have to keep it wet for it to stay green, but it does keep the water dish cleaner.

DoversMama

5 Year Member
What a great enclosure! I'm going to have to try the moss, too. Ernie is too cute!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I love it!! I'm going to model Nelson's new enclosure after Ernie's ;)
I need to go find some fake plants. I looked at a craft store today but they had a very small selection. I'll have to go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby some time this week.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Beautiful Casa d'Ernie. I think it's safe to say you could be a design consultant, almost on a terryo scale! :D

Nice balance of "plants", especially that moss. I have a little, but now you've made me want more! It does look nice and clean, and I can use anything and everything to keep Taco's enclosure moist during our bone-dry winter. :p

What kind of humidity meter do you use? I need to get one, but I'm afraid it will just depress me since I doubt my humidity level is even close to ideal. :rolleyes:

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Stephanie Logan said:
What kind of humidity meter do you use? I need to get one, but I'm afraid it will just depress me since I doubt my humidity level is even close to ideal. :rolleyes:

I actually don't use a humidity meter. I just make sure its always nice and moist in there. I spray until the plants and dripping basically, and then it dries out some.

Mango

5 Year Member
It's beautiful, really, but too small.

My tortoise (her name is Mango) lives in a 3 X 3 box right now. I need taller sides, and a longer enclosure, but slightly thinner so I can reach it better. I live in a small place in SF and cannot commit a whole bedroom to her, nor can she live outside. I'd love to be able to give her something to climb--she clearly needs it.

-mango's persoon

sammi said:
So I redid Ernie's enclosure again because I added some things, took other things out, and needed a way to keep humidity up on one side, and a way to keep my log hide from going moldy from moist substrate. I've been experimenting with a humid side/dry side and so far, so good! Ernie happily moves from one end to the other, in and out of his little tunnels =] He loves the addition of the new log hide, and climbs up and over it all day. I mixed the coir/sand on the dry side with some cypress mulch, and mist it lightly to keep it from being dusty. The humid side has strictly coir/sand mix, and is misted and water much more often to keep humid. I keep a lid on the humid side to help hold in moisture, and it has done a great job. Here are some pictures, let me know what you guys think.

tub1.jpg

tub2.jpg

dryside.jpg

humidsode.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.