Humid Hides/Western Hermann's hatchling?

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Hello All,
Is a humid hide necessary for a new baby?
If so, what is preferred inside the hide and what maintance to keep the humidity levels where it needs to be?
Do you prefer to keep the hide near the warmer side/basking end or the cool side?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Here's a useful thread on setting up a hatchling:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello All,
Is a humid hide necessary for a new baby?
If so, what is preferred inside the hide and what maintance to keep the humidity levels where it needs to be?
Do you prefer to keep the hide near the warmer side/basking end or the cool side?
They are more necessary for a new baby than anything else.

You want some sort of low plastic opaque box. Flip it upside down, cut a door hole just large enough for the tortoise, and enlarge the hole as the tortoise grows. Dampen the substrate under it as needed. Best to have a humid hide on each end of the enclosure, so the baby will have what it needs wherever it decides to park.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
They are more necessary for a new baby than anything else.

You want some sort of low plastic opaque box. Flip it upside down, cut a door hole just large enough for the tortoise, and enlarge the hole as the tortoise grows. Dampen the substrate under it as needed. Best to have a humid hide on each end of the enclosure, so the baby will have what it needs wherever it decides to park.
One on the cool end won’t cause a RI if it’s damp inside and on the cooler end?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One on the cool end won’t cause a RI if it’s damp inside and on the cooler end?
No. Not for Testudo. It gets cool and damp where they come from too. As long as it doesn't get cold at night and stay cold for days. As long at they can warm up to operating temps each day.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
No. Not for Testudo. It gets cool and damp where they come from too. As long as it doesn't get cold at night and stay cold for days. As long at they can warm up to operating temps each day.
And that’s fine for hatchlings?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And that’s fine for hatchlings?
Yes, within reason. Hatchlings need a drop in night temperature too, I just don't let it drop as much as I would for an adult. I let hatchings drop to 21-22C at night. Adults are okay down to 10-12C as long as they can warm up each day. When I say warm up, I mean an ambient around 24-27C, and a basking area around 36-37C

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Yes, within reason. Hatchlings need a drop in night temperature too, I just don't let it drop as much as I would for an adult. I let hatchings drop to 21-22C at night. Adults are okay down to 10-12C as long as they can warm up each day. When I say warm up, I mean an ambient around 24-27C, and a basking area around 36-
Yes, within reason. Hatchlings need a drop in night temperature too, I just don't let it drop as much as I would for an adult. I let hatchings drop to 21-22C at night. Adults are okay down to 10-12C as long as they can warm up each day. When I say warm up, I mean an ambient around 24-27C, and a basking area around 36-37C
What temps would 21-22c actually be? Sorry I sound uneducated lol

Tzav

Campbell, CA
Hi! Thank you for this information about temperature, it's really helpful! I'm trying to design an outdoor enclosure for an Eastern's Hermann's (we don't have it yet, still doing research!) I'm wondering how the temperature guidelines apply to outdoor enclosures. I'm planning for a heated house, as wintertime tempertures can range from around 40-50 degrees F where I live (San Jose, CA), which I know is too cold for a Hermann's without heating. Is a basking area needed for outdoor enclosures, or does that only apply to indoor enclosures? Also, how many hours of sunlight is optimal for an adult Hermann's? Thanks for any tips!