Ernie.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Totally bummer, I have to say myself and A.T.C. dropped the ball twice here for Beth back to back in a short time span. Very sorry to have this happen to you and being a new tortoise keeper. Those were the last two we had available and some type of build up must of happened in the enclosure. Once the first one showed signs of worms. We dewormed the last one here. Instead of a refund, I thought the last one here was solid. Eyes were open and eating daily but I assume the build up came back and I must not of treated it all the way. I went ahead and refund Beth for the experience and mentioned I think it needs to have a round of fenbendazole. Need to apologize to TFO as well, things do happen for time to time with living creatures.

We are very sorry this happened and next September once we have more hatchlings available I try to keep Beth in mind!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I've been reading all the posts here, and I have experienced worms in my tortoises. The same symptoms, and when I hear about bubbles, eyes swollen and closed eyes, I start thinking parasites and RI. This baby is totally infested if you found a worm in his poop! He needs a visit to the vet asap. Please keep is posted.

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
Totally bummer, I have to say myself and A.T.C. dropped the ball twice here for Beth back to back in a short time span. Very sorry to have this happen to you and being a new tortoise keeper. Those were the last two we had available and some type of build up must of happened in the enclosure. Once the first one showed signs of worms. We dewormed the last one here. Instead of a refund, I thought the last one here was solid. Eyes were open and eating daily but I assume the build up came back and I must not of treated it all the way. I went ahead and refund Beth for the experience and mentioned I think it needs to have a round of fenbendazole. Need to apologize to TFO as well, things do happen for time to time with living creatures.

We are very sorry this happened and next September once we have more hatchlings available I try to keep Beth in mind!
Thanks Andrew!
Everyone should know that Andrew has been very responsive to my emails and was very kind to offer a replacement and then a refund. Neither of which were owed. As a tortoise owner, we understand there is an element of risk when buying an animal. This thread is not meant to in anyway hurt the business or reputation of the ATC. We all take the position that you care very deeply for your animals!

And if we may quote Monty Python, Ernie would like you all to know, "I'm not dead." (not yet anyway)

Thanks again for the care and concern. The vet didn't sound one way or the other if he would live... but of course we are hoping for the best.

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
I also purchased a gpp hatchling from ATC. What are the signs of worms?
well... the obvious sign was that both my torts literally had worms in their stools. The first on never ate and then finally the day before he expired had blood on his nose. The second guy actually is pretty hardy seeming. He eats and stomps around plenty. His eyes caused others (with more experience than I) to be worried about his health. (as you can see from the start of this post) One of his eyes did get extremely swollen, the other only moderately. He had symptoms that mirrored a RI, but the vet thought it was all due to the worms.

Andrew told me to keep an eye out for loose stools as that could be an indication of worms. Anyway, he was very nice to answer my questions privately, if you're worried, drop him a line. Good luck with yours!

But can I celebrate that our little guy has gained 4 grams in the last week!!!! :D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Stuff happens, but you own it and work on making things right for your customers. That's called GOOD BUSINESS.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks Andrew!
Everyone should know that Andrew has been very responsive to my emails and was very kind to offer a replacement and then a refund. Neither of which were owed. As a tortoise owner, we understand there is an element of risk when buying an animal. This thread is not meant to in anyway hurt the business or reputation of the ATC. We all take the position that you care very deeply for your animals!

And if we may quote Monty Python, Ernie would like you all to know, "I'm not dead." (not yet anyway)

Thanks again for the care and concern. The vet didn't sound one way or the other if he would live... but of course we are hoping for the best.
Goodness, you sure have been through a mill!!! I'm so sorry you're having such rough start. Baptism of fire! That's for sure!

Kasia

Poland
well... the obvious sign was that both my torts literally had worms in their stools. The first on never ate and then finally the day before he expired had blood on his nose. The second guy actually is pretty hardy seeming. He eats and stomps around plenty. His eyes caused others (with more experience than I) to be worried about his health. (as you can see from the start of this post) One of his eyes did get extremely swollen, the other only moderately. He had symptoms that mirrored a RI, but the vet thought it was all due to the worms.

Andrew told me to keep an eye out for loose stools as that could be an indication of worms. Anyway, he was very nice to answer my questions privately, if you're worried, drop him a line. Good luck with yours!

But can I celebrate that our little guy has gained 4 grams in the last week!!!! :D

4 grams....That's SUPER:):)
I do understand that he was dewormed, his eating just fine and how are his eyes?? I thing we all are waiting for some pics to get a glimpse of his cuteness. You are doing a very good job Beth ;) Keep us updated. Wish You and Ernie all the best

Hugs&kisess

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
Stuff happens, but you own it and work on making things right for your customers. That's called GOOD BUSINESS.
4 grams....That's SUPER:):)
I do understand that he was dewormed, his eating just fine and how are his eyes?? I thing we all are waiting for some pics to get a glimpse of his cuteness. You are doing a very good job Beth ;) Keep us updated. Wish You and Ernie all the best

Hugs&kisess
thanks for the encouragement! :)
I'll upload some photos tonight!

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
here are some updated photos of Ernie's eye... the right one is pretty terrible. The left one is much better. Looking back though, I guess it isn't much worse than when he arrived. He had one round of antibiotics and a second de-worming medication. I haven't seen any worms in his poop in several days and he has continued to eat / drink well.
010_zpszm596mmb.jpg

013_zpsizdutl3e.jpg

016_zpslarl8ons.jpg

019_zps5a8c23gi.jpg

020_zpsxvwvwczo.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I so totally appreciate this post. Folks: This is the kind of person you want to do business with. Thank you for taking ownership of this problem. No one should ever worry about dealing with ATC in the future. They are great folks to deal with.

Kasia

Poland
here are some updated photos of Ernie's eye... the right one is pretty terrible. The left one is much better. Looking back though, I guess it isn't much worse than when he arrived. He had one round of antibiotics and a second de-worming medication. I haven't seen any worms in his poop in several days and he has continued to eat / drink well.
010_zpszm596mmb.jpg

013_zpsizdutl3e.jpg

016_zpslarl8ons.jpg

019_zps5a8c23gi.jpg

020_zpsxvwvwczo.jpg
Cutie pie :* With Your care hopefully he will be a big tortie one day....:)

Kasia

Poland
How was Ernie doing for this past week?? With Your care I hope for only good news :)

Hugs&kisses :)

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
thanks for asking! Well.. the scale says he lost 2 grams, but I'm wondering that is due to my not having weighed him at the same time (after eating for example) as the week before. He seems happy and active. Eating and pooping plenty :) His one eye looks normal and the other is less dramatically inflamed. So all around I have to say this is very good progress. A few days ago I proclaimed "I don't think he is going to die." He even had to sleep one night on a pile of handwarmers because the electricity went out.

I look at him everyday waiting to see if there is any new growth... there isn't yet, but I might burn a hole in his shell with my eyes ;)

Kasia

Poland
thanks for asking! Well.. the scale says he lost 2 grams, but I'm wondering that is due to my not having weighed him at the same time (after eating for example) as the week before. He seems happy and active. Eating and pooping plenty :) His one eye looks normal and the other is less dramatically inflamed. So all around I have to say this is very good progress. A few days ago I proclaimed "I don't think he is going to die." He even had to sleep one night on a pile of handwarmers because the electricity went out.

I look at him everyday waiting to see if there is any new growth... there isn't yet, but I might burn a hole in his shell with my eyes ;)

:D:D:D I'm so happy for You and Ernie. Eventually his bum will get nice and heavy and You'll miss the time when he was a little tortie.... so don't put holes in his shell he'll need it to look fancy in the summer:p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Tip - when looking for growth focus on the plastron. This is usually where you will see the first sign of growth, with new rings growing on the carapace shortly after.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Tip - when looking for growth focus on the plastron. This is usually where you will see the first sign of growth, with new rings growing on the carapace shortly after.
I agree and that's a great point. Sometimes you will see growth on the plastron weeks before the carapace. Especially when the tortoise has already experienced some pyramiding.