Ernie.

bethxyz

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
Thought you might like to meet our replacement tortoise, Ernie. As you might recall our previously short lived hatchling had a battle with worms that could not be won. So while I'm still learning all I can, it is amazing to notice all the differences between hatchling one and hatchline two. (from the same clutch I think!) The first one was very bold and adventurous compared to this new guy who is very skiddish and reclusive. However the first one never ate, this hungry hippo ate more in the first five minutes of being in the enclosure than the first one did in 20 days! Also the way they move their back legs if very different and this one is much less domed, but is rounded on the caprice. Makes me appreciate how different they all are. And honestly made me really sad all over again for the first one... he really was a beautiful tortoise, I really wish he would have worked out :(

We added some fake foliage to our enclosure since this little guy is so nervous so he has more hiding spots. And he arrived safe and warm during below zero temps! We're already looking forward to spring and warm weather and fresh clover!

132_zpswxraw1gv.jpg

144_zpse5bocuk2.jpg

142_zpsp7qhbbol.jpg

141_zpsrrbnlktu.jpg

138_zpsr0pftx24.jpg

We'll look forward to this guy being healthy and long lived!
He's happy and in a nicely hot and humid space so he can grow well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It worries me that a couple of pictures show him with his eyes closed. This isn't normal. When you pick them up the eyes should be open and bright.

Be sure to soak him in warm water daily. He's very pretty and I look forward to following him here on the Forum as he grows.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the same concern about the eyes. I wish the two of you the best of luck and look forward to the many years of post on this one. Sorry about your other one.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm glad to hear your new one is eating - that's a very good sign. I'll have to agree with the above two comments though, that this baby doesn't look all that healthy in photos (which can be hard to judge by). Hopefully the dry start it had can be quickly overcome. How often are the eyes closed?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I share the same concerns as noted above to an extent, but I understand that a picture is simply a moment in time. The arms appear to be beefy and there is a good amount of new growth shown on the plastron so those are good signs.

There are a few other comments I would like to make, but I worry how it might be interpreted since your thread was just meant to introduce us to your new tortoise. Feel free to PM me if you would like. If you are happy with how your tortoise looks and behaves then I'd say I'm happy for you. It's good that you're here and that he's in your care now.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new addition

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
I appreciate the candid reactions and welcomes :) I know there are people with lots (TONS!) more experience than I have, so us newbies rely upon that to properly care for these little beasts. He does open his eyes... but maybe half the time (give or take) Does that seem about right? He is getting soaked daily. I think he was kept a in an open air enclosure until he got to me, I have a fully enclosed set-up so that might make it easier to offer a higher humidity. I know different folks subscribe to different set-ups, but here in PA in the winter with heater the house is really dry, so a fully enclosed set-up is the only way to keep the temps and humidity up. I have no idea how people do this with a table set-up.

What is the typical cause of closed eyes? Just general poor health? Does this point to anything specific?
Thanks!!!

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
There are a few other comments I would like to make, but I worry how it might be interpreted since your thread was just meant to introduce us to your new tortoise..

Please share your thoughts... perhaps beneficial to me and others as well.
thanks!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Babies sleep a lot, but their eyes should be open when they are awake and being handled like that should wake up a healthy baby quickly.

Closed eyes can signify many things that we really can't diagnosis with a photo. The pyramided shell tells us this baby was started dry, so you could just be seeing the effects of the dehydration. Illness or eye irritation/damage are possibilities too. Keeping your baby warm and hydrated are the best course of action in general.

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
I will admit, I was a little bummed by the degree of pyramiding already in place, but hopefully as he grows it will be less dramatic. He is a little challenge.... the comments on the closed eyes do have my slightly worried, or at least alerted me for possible issues.

I have two kids, and dead tortoises aren't looked upon too favorably by them... so for their sake, more than mine, wish us luck with this little guy. We're giving it our all.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Wishing you all the best with this one.

There are many extremely knowledgeable leopard keepers here who can provide advice if the need arises.

Kasia

Poland
Hi
I named my leopard tortoise Ernest as well (I call him Nini - short), when I first got him he had diarrhea and was not growing much. My Nini was really ill. He has started growing fast after the treatment he was given (antibiotics and metronidazole). Medication allowed him to digest food properly, take in the nutrients and just be healthy. His pyramided due the fast growth, being started dry and all his been through. Not dramatically but still..
Would I change him for another not pyramided leo? NEVER, I love the little munchkin ;) Care for Your Baby, don't give up on it even if it's not the smoothest one ;).
It's good that it's eating but to be on the safe side take it (with it's stool sample) to a Professional Reptile Vet. Let him check his eyes - maybe they are just irritated from the wrong substrate/conditions it was kept in but maybe there is something more.
Give Your Lil Sweetie a lot of love

Hugs and good luck for You and Your Ernie :)

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
quick update... just a few days in... he does seem to be moving around and keeping his eyes open a bit more often. Pooping and eating like a champ. I definitely appreciate all the comments / concern and advice. Not sure how long we would wait to see new growth, but no one will be happier than I so show off pictures of smooth new growth as it happens. wish us continued luck!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Make sure you provide greens high in Vitamin A. Bok Choy for example. Many feel Vitamin A deficiency can be a source of swollen, closed eyes.

Kasia

Poland
quick update... just a few days in... he does seem to be moving around and keeping his eyes open a bit more often. Pooping and eating like a champ. I definitely appreciate all the comments / concern and advice. Not sure how long we would wait to see new growth, but no one will be happier than I so show off pictures of smooth new growth as it happens. wish us continued luck!
Hi, how is Ernie doing???
;)

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, how is Ernie doing???
;)
thanks for asking!!
Sad to say, he seems to be slipping. Hasn't eaten nearly as much the past two days. Has not pooped the last two soaks (I haven't soaked him yet today) His right eye is noticeably more swollen than his left... and to top it off today, he blow a bubble out of his nose. He has high temps (90 or better through-out the enclosure, higher directly under the spot).

Assuming a hatchling is at optimal health, would they be awake with open eyes almost immediately upon handling? This sweet baby will sleep in my hands only stir after rubbing his shell for a bit. I just checked on him and he didn't ever bother to open his eyes. (Although the swelling was less dramatic than last night when it was at its peak).

Thanks again for asking.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds like he's in rough shape.

My recommendation would be to keep him at about 90 degrees around the clock until he begins to show improvement. Soak him frequently and give him as much food as he is willing and able to eat.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Sorry to hear things aren't improving. I'd take this little one to a tortoise vet, Beth. Antibiotics may be needed. It sounds like you're starting to see the symptoms of a respiratory infection. Since you've been diligent about keeping him warm and hydrated, there may not be more you can do to help his immune system without antibiotics.

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
Sounds like he's in rough shape.

My recommendation would be to keep him at about 90 degrees around the clock until he begins to show improvement. Soak him frequently and give him as much food as he is willing and able to eat.
I've been soaking him daily in nice near hot water for 22 minutes (I know that is a strange amount of time, but since 20 was the recommendation I thought he could benefit from a little more, but was't sure how long might be too long) so two questions... 1. will soaking him multiple times a day, and thus handling him more be stressful? 2. what is the longest you can soak a leopard tort? THANKS!

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
Sorry to hear things aren't improving. I'd take this little one to a tortoise vet, Beth. Antibiotics may be needed. It sounds like you're starting to see the symptoms of a respiratory infection. Since you've been diligent about keeping him warm and hydrated, there may not be more you can do to help his immune system without antibiotics.
agreed, I left a message for the vet... they're closed on Sundays... but first thing Monday AM I'm hoping they can get us in.