Enclosure set up advice

Ziggyredfoot

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi. I would just like some advice from people with experience keeping red foots.
I currently keep my in a extra long under bed storage tub as I found this the best and most cost effective way of being able to create a good humidity for him.
The problem I have is that I like to have the lids clipped on so it's a closed Chamber, what I did was crack a big round hole in the top for the heating element to be able to get the heat through as it's clamped onto the side of the tub. The main problem I have with it is finding a suitable place to fit the tube light into as I like to have it above the tortoise rather than at eye level for example. Which basically means I end up with one side of my lid on and the other off allowing me to have the tube light sitting on top and overhanging either side and for the rays not to be blocked by the plastic lid. I do have a very effective humidifier however it tends to make the orchid bark too damp because of how much water it would pump out through the day even when on a timer.
A couple of questions I have are
Does anyone recommend a compact uv? As I'd be able to fit one of these in better without obstructing the lid, I could just make another hole, however I don't feel I would get a good spread of uv.
Should I just leave the tube light on one half which would release lots of humidity and just try and make the covered half as humid as possible?
Finally would anyone recommend a viv for a red foot? I understand for other tortoises mainly Mediterranean species that they can cause respiratory issues over time due to low airflow however red foots are more used to stagnant slow moving humid air, so just wanted opinions on that too.
Thanks, all help is appreciated

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The problem with under-bed tubs and many other boxes is exactly what you found- the lid is too low to allow good lighting. How tight you need to make the tank depends on the humidity in that room. If that room is pretty dry, the tank needs to be pretty tight.

There are a lot of ways to make a decent habitat, and most of them depend on the size of the tort. This might help you get started- http://tortoiselibrary.com/indoor-housing-2/

Ziggyredfoot

England
The problem with under-bed tubs and many other boxes is exactly what you found- the lid is too low to allow good lighting. How tight you need to make the tank depends on the humidity in that room. If that room is pretty dry, the tank needs to be pretty tight.

There are a lot of ways to make a decent habitat, and most of them depend on the size of the tort. This might help you get started- http://tortoiselibrary.com/indoor-housing-2/

Thanks for your help. Yes that's exactly the problem the box doesn't have the height to secure the lighting in nicely under the lid, it's a shame as the boxed are so cheap and lightweight should they ever need moving. Would you recommend vivariums in general for red foots?
Im going to check out the link now and see what other ideas I can find for housing
Thanks

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I know there is debate over plastic tubs vs glass tanks and such, but frankly I don't think there is a real difference. I would go with what you can afford, is big enough, is easy to keep clean and to ventilate, and that lets you do what you want with the top.

One idea I have seen for smaller torts is two tubs, one clear and one that does not have to be, with the clear one mounted upside down on top of the other to give a nice high roof. You can cut vent holes, access holes, etc. and tape them over for a better seal, and lots more.

Ziggyredfoot

England
I know there is debate over plastic tubs vs glass tanks and such, but frankly I don't think there is a real difference. I would go with what you can afford, is big enough, is easy to keep clean and to ventilate, and that lets you do what you want with the top.

One idea I have seen for smaller torts is two tubs, one clear and one that does not have to be, with the clear one mounted upside down on top of the other to give a nice high roof. You can cut vent holes, access holes, etc. and tape them over for a better seal, and lots more.
Thanks so much. I'm going to redo his enclosure by buying the plastic tubs again so I can have a bit of a deeper one too. Then I'll mouth the other one on top and fit the tube lights into it. Alternatively I might just cover half of it again then get a canopy tube light ballast and heat bulb to fill the open half. I wondered if you have a picture of a covered setup made of two tubs so I can get an idea of how to mount them together please? Thank you