tinytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
Hey there, throwing this onto a separate thread as it could help people interested in this topic.

So yesterday I received a wifi enabled camera and set it up inside of my enclosure.

It has motion detecting, and I can select the time range for it to detect, and then it sends mobile notifications so I can tune in for the action throughout the day. The camera has view of all my enclosure's 'hotspots', basking area included, as well as the food bowl, both water bowels, humid hide, and the new area she's creating her own hide.

Anywho, here is some footage from day 1, all of these clips were automatically recorded and stored in my 'events' folder, though I can also stream a live-feed anytime on demand. Night vision is quite good too!
While not the best for a tortoise, you can actually maintain a conversations though the camera, it has a speaker and a microphone, so if you were alerted to a person messing with your enclosure you could direct them not to, or give specific instructions if something were wrong.

Camera: https://www.wyzecam.com/

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've got one in Darwin's enclosure too, but I'm not sure how to share the videos and pics, if it's possible.

I do like having it, and like the added bonus of the thermometer with an alert threshold built into the camera.

Jamie

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Is it hosted through an app, or can you access them from you computer?

Wyze offers unlimited cloud storage for the motion sensor auto recorded clips, through their app, and you can share the clips to many sources.

I also have a micro SD card 32gb (max capacity) in mine so if I remote view in the app I can press record to have my clip saved on board.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
It's a Blink camera, and hosted through their app ....

Jamie
Maybe try sharing or long tapping the video in the app to send it to yourself, via email, or to another place.

Otherwise see if they have an online portal, if you're able to login there and view videos you should be able to right click and save them, or find a download link.

Their customer support might be able to help you if none of that is fruitful.

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
Hey there, throwing this onto a separate thread as it could help people interested in this topic.

So yesterday I received a wifi enabled camera and set it up inside of my enclosure.

It has motion detecting, and I can select the time range for it to detect, and then it sends mobile notifications so I can tune in for the action throughout the day. The camera has view of all my enclosure's 'hotspots', basking area included, as well as the food bowl, both water bowels, humid hide, and the new area she's creating her own hide.

Anywho, here is some footage from day 1, all of these clips were automatically recorded and stored in my 'events' folder, though I can also stream a live-feed anytime on demand. Night vision is quite good too!
While not the best for a tortoise, you can actually maintain a conversations though the camera, it has a speaker and a microphone, so if you were alerted to a person messing with your enclosure you could direct them not to, or give specific instructions if something were wrong.

Camera: https://www.wyzecam.com/

Which wyze camera did you get?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm flying down to Florida with my soon to visit my parents, and mid-flight got a video alert from the blink camera ... A 15 second video of Darwin ignoring the food I left in his bowl in favor of the pothos I planted his new enclosure with ... :)

Jamie

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
@tinytortoise Do you know the humidity in the enclosure? I want to setup a camera in mine as well but I wonder about the longevity of a camera and high humidity...

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
@tinytortoise Do you know the humidity in the enclosure? I want to setup a camera in mine as well but I wonder about the longevity of a camera and high humidity...
Mines very humid and I haven't had issues yet, that said the camera I got is 25 bucks so if I have to replace it later it's not such a big deal. Will keep you posted. It's been above 90% and I've had no issues.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm away for the weekend, and my Blink camera keeps me up to speed on how Darwin's doing by sending me motion-activated updates and by keeping an eye on the temperature inside his enclosure.

Jamie

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I've got one in Darwin's enclosure too, but I'm not sure how to share the videos and pics, if it's possible.

I do like having it, and like the added bonus of the thermometer with an alert threshold built into the camera.

Jamie
Video clips can be saved to a SD card (if supported), computer hard drive (if the cam is set to the same subnet), FTP server (if configured), or Cloud storage. There are several free apps that will let you do most of the aforementioned. I use iSpy.

Once the clip is saved somewhere, you can upload to YouTube and link/embed the video here on TF.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
I'm away for the weekend, and my Blink camera keeps me up to speed on how Darwin's doing by sending me motion-activated updates and by keeping an eye on the temperature inside his enclosure.

Jamie
Love it!

The peace of mind offered by these cameras is great!

My baby has taken up burrowing, almost under the basking rock, as of late, and it's great to know where about she was before going under. Before I had to really investigate everywhere to find her, now it's usually somewhat obvious.

So funny to see her little head popping out of the ground.

Last edited: