Enclosure idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
When I was at Home Depot today picking up my new blocks for my enclosure addition..I noticed a mortar mixing tote. It wasn't expensive, I believe the large on was around $12 and the smaller one around $6. I thought it would be perfect for a hatchling of small juvie. It was about the size of a wheelbarrow bucket, but not as deep. Would make a good water pan for a medium/large Sully or Leo as well. Sturdy hard plastic, not thin like a wading pool. I am thinking about using the smaller one in my Boxie pen. I will take pictures after I get it finished.

I know I paid more than that for my large tote. So, if anyone is looking to add to the family and need an enclosure idea..check this one out. It was located in the lumber area, where they keep the concrete blocks and fence post corners.

**Sorry if this has been suggested before.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I own a small and a large one, we use them for soaking, lol...

Spoomsister

5 Year Member
Great idea! We were just talking about how we need to pick up a small kiddie pool for Rodney, but I like this idea better. I'll run to Lowes tomorrow and see if they have one.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
This? If so, very durable. You'd almost think they were made specifically for tortoises. :):):)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They work good as enclosures for small tortoises but sulcata's out grow them fast..

1022111314a.jpg

This is the large mixing tub..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, funny pic, Dmarcus!
Dixie, show us pics of your box turtle enclosure and how you use the mortar tub!

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
DixieParadise said:
Guess us Texans think alike then. Lol...

LOL
Enough said...LOL
I purchased the large one last weeekend for my oudoor enclosure for the redfoots wading pool .
It is a little to deep right now but i have a couple of wheel barrow full of river rock that i plan to put in bottom & i can remove the rocks as
the redfoots get larger :)
Mike D.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yes, that is the mixing tote I was talking about.

I have a few more blocks to buy, before I put my tote in. I decided to increase my old pen, so I am doing two at the same time. Wil begin tilling up the old enclosure and getting ready for new plants. The new one, has winter grass already growing in it, so I am just going to add the rocks, water pan and hides. As soon as they eat and trail through the grass, I will know where to put the plants in the new enclosure.

Was thinking that the tote was a little deep for the redfoots, mine are still under 5 inches. Thinking more along the lines of a small fountain pool. I think TerryO uses this in her enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.