Enclosure Humidity

Er1c

I have two Red Foot Tortoises (in a 8x3 ft tortoise table). I've always had a problem keeping humidity levels up. I've tried the "humid hide", but they never seem to use it. Since I'm moving my animal room to the basement and it would be too much work to take the table apart I've decided to rebuild the whole thing with melamine instead of plywood. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to keep humidity levels up without having to mist it every couple hours. Thank you,
Eric

swatsx

5 Year Member
I'm very new to tortoises there's a better way I'm sure but I had to put a lid on my table and the humidity now stays at 50-60% I do have vents for flow but unless you install a humidifier like the ones made for chameleons I don't see a way other then like you said misting every couple hours

I have a Russian tortoise and I don't need humidity so much but that's what I'm getting just from very slightly damn substrate and a water bowl

yillt

I have two Red Foot Tortoises (in a 8x3 ft tortoise table). I've always had a problem keeping humidity levels up. I've tried the "humid hide", but they never seem to use it. Since I'm moving my animal room to the basement and it would be too much work to take the table apart I've decided to rebuild the whole thing with melamine instead of plywood. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to keep humidity levels up without having to mist it every couple hours. Thank you,
Eric
A lid does work but if your not keen then I would suggest finding a humid hide that they DO like. Daily soaks also help. Even with a lid, misting is still nessecary to add extra humidity. There are plenty of threads on humidity in species specific and enclosures I think.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A closed chamber is the only way to keep humidity up without daily misting. With RF be careful that the top layer of substrate remains dry as RF are prone to shell rot, where other high humidity torts are not. I would build a different humid hide, one they do like as mentioned and cover the enclosure and make the front plexi for viewing. Or cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the top along with a humid hide. This will still require misting or a humidifier. You could also try a bucket of warm water, placed under a heat source and then placed under the enclosed portion of the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Isn't the point of building a tortoise table to allow lots of ventilation and airflow?

That is the reason that some people parrot the tortoise table info for, but it makes no sense. Think about it. Look at all the trouble you are having.

Having an open tortoise table in a cool dry room, when you want to have warm humid conditions is equivalent to submerging an open topped glass of ice water in a Jacuzzi tub and expecting the water in it to stay cold. Now put a lid on that cup of ice water and it will stay colder, and free of hot tub water, a lot longer. This is basically the principal behind a large closed chamber. Heat and humidify a closed of portion of air, instead of fighting physics with mixing room air.

Open tables are only good if the room air is exactly what you need in the open topped table. This usually work okay for Testudo species, but it doesn't work at all for species that need warm, humid, tropical conditions.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Since you were going to basically build it from scratch, I would take a look at the red foot section and the enclosures section for some ideas. There are some very creative people here with great enclosures.
From personal experience I have learned that to keep in the heat and humidity you are going to have to make it some sort of close to chamber, or something that is covered in someway. Especially in a basement where it is probably colder than the rest of the house.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum.:tort:

Sorry, don't know, but you'll get the help you need so do not worry.;)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
You need a mostly covered enclosure or humidity will escape. I've locked in great humidity with my bin enclosure but I know your going big. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452107464.988889.jpg

Also it's very easy to make a homemade humidifier. I would recommend Crane brand or Remedies brand. Both are very quiet, and you can adjust the humidity easily. Here's mine...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452107545.228327.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452107560.128748.jpg

You can buy vinyl tubing from Home Depot to run the tubing/hose into your enclosure. Very inexpensive. :)

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I have a closed chamber enclosure for my redfoot with 4 small air holes. I pour water in the substrate and mist now and then. Humidity is always >80%, at night even >90%. So it can be done! Good luck!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452117229.762462.jpg