Enclosure Humidifier

adriantan

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Since our enclosure gets dry really fast and I know that it is because of our halogen spot bulb but we are trying to change that as fast as we can because here in the Philippines it’s a lot harder to get some stuff and I was reading about humidifiers will that work with a semi open enclosure? Our enclosure has a roof for the lamps and another one that opens with a mesh to close but air is still able to go in an out and I personally think that I would count it as an open enclosure. We also let them outside and currently it rains a bit but not too much and since they are growing super fast we are already planning their outside enclosure but will there be anything else that will prevent pyramiding as much as we can?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Have you used a humidity gauge? Based on your natural humididty ranges you should be able to add some hot water to the substrate ever couple of days to increase it in the enclosure. Save your money besides they break down quickly if you don't use distilled water. What kind of tortoise and how old is it?

adriantan

Philippines
He is 2 months old and a sulcata and even with our humidity here it tends to dry up quite quick.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
He is 2 months old and a sulcata and even with our humidity here it tends to dry up quite quick.
Okay then a a closed chamber is needed. Something that is covered and keeps the air from drying out inside. A cover like. Shower curtain could work in the short term while you set something up better. Have you seen our Sulcata care guide it is under the African tortoise section

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best to use a closed chamber instead of a humidifier.

Have you seen this?

adriantan

Philippines
Yes I have read most of the guides here including that and we are trying to upgrade our enclosures based on these guides but I was thinking that soon they would be able to live outside and since here we don't have much natural predators that I can try my best to keep humidity up until then. When should we be moving our tortoises into an outdoor enclosure and if we do what are your best insights on rainy seasons here. Normally in rainy seasons it rains very hard and sometimes we do get typhoons.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I have read most of the guides here including that and we are trying to upgrade our enclosures based on these guides but I was thinking that soon they would be able to live outside and since here we don't have much natural predators that I can try my best to keep humidity up until then. When should we be moving our tortoises into an outdoor enclosure and if we do what are your best insights on rainy seasons here. Normally in rainy seasons it rains very hard and sometimes we do get typhoons.
I like to keep them mostly inside as little babies. One hour of outside time every other day is my guideline. As they gain size, I gradually progress to one hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Once they are 5-6 inches, I put them out in the morning and bring them back in at night, weather permitting. At 8-10 inches, I move them outside full time with a heated, insulated night box. All of this should work well in your climate too.

adriantan

Philippines
Thanks this will be a lot of help but once they become adults how much space do they need. We have a backyard that should be suitable until they get to 1 foot or more up to 15 inches but how much space do they need when they reach adult size?