TORTOISE hates humidifier???

Status
Not open for further replies.

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
So I just got a humidifier yesterday for my redfoot. Both yesterday and today when I have turned it on my little guy seems to go crazy and tries to climb the sides of his enclosure. It really bothers me because he keeps flipping himself over and I know that isn't good. Does anyone else have torts who hate their humidifiers? Or will mine get used to it after awhile?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Maybe you have it set too high? How is it set up?

Whenever I have my humidifier on full blast I notice my tort blinking a lot. Apparently from moisture hitting its eyes. I usually keep it on medium.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I had it on the lowest setting since it seemed he didn't like it much.. he's in his hide now so hopefully he is getting used to it. I just thought it was weird because I had read many people saying their tortoises will come to the spout when they turn theirs on. I mean he is supposed to have high humidity (80+) in his enclosure so I don't see why he would be bothered by it.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Does your humidifier release a heavy mist? Sometimes, torts an feel like their suffocating especially if the heat is high (90+). Try keeping temps at 85 and see if your little one feels better about the humidifier.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with the other thoughts on temps and strength of blast, there may be noise. Another factor is this is a captive guy correct? Has he ever lived outside and experienced the feel of rain and mist? The feel of a windy day? What he is experiencing may be new to him. New to a tortoise especially a youngin' who already has instinct telling him to beware of possible dangers and thus he wants to run from it and to some place safe. Give him some time and see if things happen.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Also I found misting or humidifiers make your toetoise active and feeding time. That's when they forge for food . And he probably wants to venture past the enclosure walls

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Mine sticks his head at the end of the reptifogger tube when I have it on, and he usually gets really active and eats while I have it on.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I decided that I no longer think it's the humidifier... I believe it's time for him to get a larger enclosure. He was still being crazy today when I had the thing off, the timing just happened to be when I bought the humidifier. Guess he has just become more active now that I've got his temps and everything perfect for him. Plus, he's grown a bit in the last couple weeks. Thanks for everyone's input though!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They also get comfortable and will move more. Bigger enclosures are always good :)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I guess my observations turned out to be just the opposite. I thought he was climbing his log at one point to get away from the mist but today I found him on top of the log directly under the spray nozzle. Perhaps while I am working on that larger enclosure I should move the humidifier nozzle somewhere where he doesn't have to climb his log and risk flipping himself to get to it. And I thought owning a tort would be easy! :rolleyes: haha

Status
Not open for further replies.