Need help ASAP! Indian star tortoise not passing urate!!

Samyak Dadda

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hello!
I have a indian star tortoise couple[both are quite small]. Recently the female one has not passed out the white substance [ urate] in her urine for the past 5-6 days. I am really worried about her. I tried feeding her banana and she ate a little but that's it. I give all sorts of greens which are available in my town.

she's pooping alright and urinating too but the urate does not come out!

I don't know what to do!

Is everything alright?

Please help!!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As long as you see good feces and occasional water release (pee) there is no concern if you do not see white urates. A well hydrated tortoise can release enough water stores that contain the uric acid, and then the uric acid will not build up to the point of precipitating semi-solid urates. Especially if the diet is pretty low protein - which means less uric acid is being produced. So you have nothing to worry about.

Banana is not a good food for a star tortoise.

Samyak Dadda

India
As long as you see good feces and occasional water release (pee) there is no concern if you do not see white urates. A well hydrated tortoise can release enough water stores that contain the uric acid, and then the uric acid will not build up to the point of precipitating semi-solid urates. Especially if the diet is pretty low protein - which means less uric acid is being produced. So you have nothing to worry about.

Banana is not a good food for a star tortoise.
my one tort eats a lot and passes urate regularly but the female one doesn't. Even though they are eating the same food!!

Destben

Kansas
My tortoise has never passed white urates and unless I'm watching i wouldn't know she was passing them at all. she always does it in her water and its clear. Supposedly that means shes well hydrated.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
My largest female will frequently urinate when I handle her excessively. She tends to urinate mostly clear fluid at first, and eventually will pass urates if I keep bothering her. I wonder if urates (assuming urates have a higher density than urine) tend to settle on the bottom of the bladder and are excreted after the lighter liquid urine passes.