Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
Re: RE: Emergency (ant attack)

Assante said:
I don't know how to say it but she passed away.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using TortForum mobile app

Sorry.

If you decide to get another, I suggest an outdoor tortoise table with grass and all planted into it. I have one and it took the loss of a previous baby to figure it out.

Ants are fast! :(

Thanks,
Shelly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, darn it! I've had red ants get up into my baby box turtle table before and eat the babies alive, so I understand what you feel like right now. I'm so very sorry!

I've been on a mission against red ants for years. I've lived here for over 15 years, and am not making any inroads against them. You kill a few in one spot and those that don't die just move to a different spot, being fruitful and multiplying.

Such sad news.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Wow! They went up into the table?! :( Never had that happen... now I am freaked out.

Thanks,
Shelly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ShellyTurtleTort said:
Wow! They went up into the table?! :( Never had that happen... now I am freaked out.

Thanks,
Shelly

Yeah. After that, I took four empty cans and sat the table legs in the cans and filled them with water.

I have tort tables mounted on walls inside the tortoise sheds, and I have a heck of a time keeping ants out of those.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Dumb ants! The fire ants were just ruthless I remember. You kill one huge nest and 2 days later you have another about ten feet from the one you just took care of. I was wondering, how old was this poor baby that was just attacked?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Darn it. I am so sorry she didn't make it. Just heart breaking. Unfortunately sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. :(
My hubby is picking up some Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth on his way home from work today. I don't have any nasty ants, yet. Hoping to keep them from ever getting here.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Yvonne G said:
ShellyTurtleTort said:

Thanks,
Shelly

Yeah. After that, I took four empty cans and sat the table legs in the cans and filled them with water.

I have tort tables mounted on walls inside the tortoise sheds, and I have a heck of a time keeping ants out of those.

Smart!

My table has iron legs. Ants don't appear to like that.

Assante

5 Year Member
She was a little over 5 months.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using TortForum mobile app

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
That is horrid! Only last week I was talking to a relative who is visiting from Zambia and she was telling me her neighbour, who keeps leopards, has terrible trouble with ands and often loses hatchlings to them.

Before that I had never though about it (not really a problem we have here) so sad to hear about your poor little one! But you did all you could for her!

jacktaylor900

5 Year Member
I'm so sad I am just about to cry thinking if that were to happen to my tort best of luck to u and ur shelled friend

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
What a terrible thing to have happen. I am going to tractor supply and get a 10lb bag of diatomaceous earth and write calendar reminders for retreatments. I am sorry for your loss.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
My good friend just lost 2 Radiateds yesterday to ants...
Ants suck...
S. Florida by the way..

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yup they suck bad times,, especially the fire ants

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am very sorry for your loss!
I am also buying diatomaceous earth and will treat my soil.
Thank you for sharing what happened, both for you and for providing some of us with info that could save out torts.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Condolences Assante. This is just so sad. I don't know about the aggressive fire ants you all deal with, but I heeled out and tried chalk with our ants here in Ontario and they really didn't cross the line. Maybe piling chalk around the legs of the table for those of you that deal with them?
Again, my condolences for the loss

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yvonne's idea of putting the legs in cans with water in them is a really good idea I think.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm so sorry for you and your baby. I hate red ants with a passion. The sad thing is that they can't scream like people can. A lot of times when they get attacked, it's too late. When my babies were just a couple of months old, he crossed an ant hill and I only knew because I saw him scurry across the grass faster than I've ever seen him run. When I got to him, the ants were still on him. I squeezed them and knocked them off. There were a few red marks on him. I gave him a warm soak. Meanwhile, I boiled some water and put it into a large thermos. When I got to the ant hill, I poured the boiling water directly into their hole. If there was a queen there, I'm sure she died along with her soldiers. I was satisfied then.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am so sorry for your loss. What a terrible thing.
Hugs to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.