Ella is hibernating...

Justin90

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I am in need of some FRIENDLY advice.

I didn't realize that there is a whole process before letting your tort hibernate. Ella started her own process around Christmas and has been in her den (indoor enclosure) since . She started to eat less, sleep for an entire day, wake up to eat a little and soak, then stay in her den longer and longer each time, until Christmas.

For a couple weeks we would hear her move around and build a wall of substrate at her den opening to close her self in. However, the past week or so we haven't heard anything, so I figured she is in her "deep sleep". I did take the lid off yesterday and poke her leg and she moved.

Her den is basically closed off, so it maintains a constant temp/conditions. I was reading on other threads, that if I wake her up from hibernation I either do nothing and let her go back to it, or I feed/soak her and I don't let her hibernate any more.

So my question is....Do I let her do her thing or do I wake her up? I've had her for just over a year now, shes about 5" long, healthy. She didn't hibernate last year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises have to have empty stomachs while brumating. If you wake her up and feed her, the food will rot in her digestive tract and she'll die. I never disturb my brumating tortoises. Some people wake them up and soak them, I don't.

Justin90

Texas
Tortoises have to have empty stomachs while brumating. If you wake her up and feed her, the food will rot in her digestive tract and she'll die. I never disturb my brumating tortoises. Some people wake them up and soak them, I don't.

Do you think I should just leave her be then, even though I didn't go through the two weeks of no feeding prior? I mean I know she started to eat less and used the bathroom some before burrowing in. But I can't say for a fact that she had an empty stomach...

Justin90

Texas
Ella actually woke up this past Saturday by her self! It was almost a month to the day she had been brumating. This being the first time shes brumated with me, it was like seeing a lost pet when I found her awake. After soaking in water for a while she did take a dump, which means she did brumate with food in her system...She definitely seems well rested, almost perky (if that's possible for tort haha).